PDA

View Full Version : Pleco quit eating

weskiall
05-01-2012, 04:26 AM
Our common pleco has been in the 90 gal Cichlid tank for over a year. Up until a week ago he has kept the tank quite clean. He seems to have gone on strike now, the algae is building up. Tests good except pH high, but nothing he hasn't been used to. Any ideas?

PS, not sure how I got to be a "Guppy" but I'm no junior!

Lady Hobbs
05-01-2012, 04:30 AM
Has he got driftwood to naw on? That's a requirement in their diet. Maybe he wants something new.....like sliced cucumbers or something? Hope he's not ill.

mommy1
05-01-2012, 04:30 AM
Do you have driftwood for him to gnaw on in the tank, commons need it to stay healthy? Have you tried giving him fresh fruit and veggies to eat?

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/pleco/common.php

ScottishFish
05-01-2012, 09:47 AM
+1 to the above about driftwood.

Just to add about your 'guppy' comment, that is due to the fact you have posted once, more posts you have then the fish change, e.g I have over 1500 so mines is an arowana :22:

Cliff
05-01-2012, 12:21 PM
I can't add much more to the great advice already given

From what I have read, common plecos will eat less and less algae as they grow.

Crispy
05-01-2012, 01:09 PM
+1 to all the above advice. they definitely eat less algae off your glass as they grow. once bigger they'll prefer meaty pellets, shrimp, etc. and also larger fruits/veggies (zucchini, cucumber, cantaloupe, watermelon). get ready for a serious poop machine. :ssmile:

DeadSulphurhead
05-01-2012, 03:18 PM
get ready for a serious poop machine. :ssmile:

Best advice in the thread. I wouldn't doubt if he's slowly become malnourished if you never feed him, and rely solely on the algae in the tank.