PDA

View Full Version : Are Albino Cories Blind? Sterile?

slinky
09-03-2007, 04:34 PM
I heard that the Albino Cories I got are actually blind or close to it. Wikipedia suggests this (but who knows what is written there.) The reason why I think it is possible that they are blind is that they seem not to notice a bloody thing around them, even when food is dropping in the water. They will practically bump into other fish on occasion. It adds to some of their charm because they are like complete buffoons around the tank and it's funny to watch. I was wondering if this was the case. I may add 1 or 2 cories and thought I might add pandas or one of the spotted ones that are pretty (I have 2 albinos in a 10G tank that I will limit to 6-7 fish.)

In addition, Wikipedia they have some trouble breeding (I can't tell the difference between male and female and just got info that males are smaller - but then what if they are fatter than the usual? How about baby females? etc.) This could be more Wiki nonsense but there is a challenge in knowing who you got! The mollies I have weren't as challenging.

Fishguy2727
09-03-2007, 06:45 PM
Cories aren't the easiest to breed, but I do not know of any reasons why albino animals would have a harder time breeding.

Albino animals do seem to have vision not quite as good as normal pigmented individuals, but it is hard to say how much it actually affects them, especially since so many animals are more reliant on other senses anyways.

cocoa_pleco
09-03-2007, 09:14 PM
they are semi-blind, albino animals have some diffuculty seeing (albino guinea pigs, rabbits, fish, etc.)

i bred albino cories, it wasnt hard. just 77F temp, java fern, and 12 albinos to pair off. had lots of eggs within a week

Nick_Pavlovski
09-04-2007, 07:20 AM
Be really careful with Wikipedia.
There's lots of rubbish on there.

Denorios
09-14-2007, 07:36 PM
supposedly you need groups of 6 or more, and special water conditions before they breed, but I had two that bred all the time in my 30 gallon community tank, with no effort on my part. I didn't have another tank at the time so the fry didn't last very long after they hatched, but they can breed.

Fishguy2727
09-15-2007, 12:23 AM
All you need is a pair or pregnant female to start a colony.

abbso70
09-21-2008, 12:27 PM
I heard that the Albino Cories I got are actually blind or close to it. Wikipedia suggests this (but who knows what is written there.) The reason why I think it is possible that they are blind is that they seem not to notice a bloody thing around them, even when food is dropping in the water. They will practically bump into other fish on occasion. It adds to some of their charm because they are like complete buffoons around the tank and it's funny to watch. I was wondering if this was the case. I may add 1 or 2 cories and thought I might add pandas or one of the spotted ones that are pretty (I have 2 albinos in a 10G tank that I will limit to 6-7 fish.)

In addition, Wikipedia they have some trouble breeding (I can't tell the difference between male and female and just got info that males are smaller - but then what if they are fatter than the usual? How about baby females? etc.) This could be more Wiki nonsense but there is a challenge in knowing who you got! The mollies I have weren't as challenging.
Hi there this is my 1st ever post,i've got 2 albino corys,i've just come home from the fish shop with swordtails,to find one of my corys swimming like mad around the tank with eggs hanging from her, i have to say im really surprised as i had a tank which some one gave me ,i added new fish over a few weeks something went wrong and wiped out about £60 worth of fish. so i bought this cory to keep the last remaining fish company,but the remaining cory died.so i bought a brand new tank and started again!!!got him a new friend and now i have eggs.....i did think there was something wrong with my water as i had a plec die in the week but there carnt be if fish are laying eggs.
sorry for waffing on its my first time posting anything

cocoa_pleco
09-21-2008, 06:30 PM
this threads from 2007. lol