PDA

View Full Version : Female Angel

Gumshoe218
04-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I noticed this on one of my angelfishes the other day and I was initially disturbed as it wasn't what i expected for the female tube. It has a red-pink coloring that appeared to actually break the skin. However, after reading LH's sticky about sexing angels, I was confident that it was normal.

Half the reason, I was surprised is that I've had the angel for over 2 years and this is the first time I've seen the tube displayed.

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Looks pretty strange to me. Looks like a bubble.

Sexing Cichlids Pictures (http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=16732)

KingFisher
04-26-2012, 03:21 PM
looks more like some type of prolapse to me.

mommy1
04-26-2012, 03:24 PM
Fisher is correct, it's an anal prolapse, here is a bit of info, click on the link and scroll down to the "tropheus cichlid problems" paragraph;
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/afcichdisfaq3.htm

Gumshoe218
04-26-2012, 03:34 PM
WOW. Okay, need to make an adjustment. I'll hold off feeding for a couple days. Also, I primarily feed them Omega One flakes. Will look to switch off of it or at least reduce the amount. The angel has likely been overfed too.

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Some floating pellets would be nice at least part of the time. My angel LOVES flakes, too. More than pellets but she gets pellets most often.

Good job Kingfisher and Mommy1. You guys are awesome.

Gumshoe218
04-26-2012, 04:11 PM
Appreciate all your help identifying the issue! I would hate to have something go wrong with one of my angels. Love watching them.

I wasn't nearly as confident as I said I was about it being the tube. The redness and protrusion really had me concerned. I discovered it on Tuesday and have watched it closely. I finally had an opportunity to post the picture today.

Again thanks!

Gumshoe218
10-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Well I decided to euthanize the fish last night. Since posting this thread, the prolapse had stayed the same size and the angel showed no signs of discomfort. However the other day I noticed the prolapse had nearly tripled in size. While still showing no other signs of discomfort, I feared what would happen to the fish if it ruptured and to the tank itself if something happened. It was something that I hated to do, but I knew for the fish it was the best thing.

So for now the larger angel has the run of the 45 with a school of rummeynose tetras to himself. I won't add another angel, but I may consider another CA/SA Cichlid to join it.

ScottishFish
10-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Sorry to hear that :scry: