PDA

View Full Version : Immotile newborn mollies + Older Fry

Yajimari21
09-03-2007, 04:00 AM
My pregnant dalmation female just dropped fry about an hour ago in my community tank, and so far I've found 6 of them (the tank is well planted though, so I'm not very worried about the others) and put them in the tank's breeder box which has about 12 slightly older fry (molly + guppy) [2 weeks or so]. This is (obviously) a temporary arrangement and another tank will be purchased tomorrow (the breeder tank is occupied atm with cory fry--- [which I posted about in another topic ^^b] ), but I'm worried about the less than hour-old fry. They are mostly just lying on the bottom of the breeder tank, and it's not this behavior that bothers me, but the possible actions of the slightly bigger, more active fry in the breeder box, who I think may nip at and possibly kill the immotile fry at the bottom (I already see a few of them moving closer). Should I not be worried? Will they be fine until tomorrow afternoon?

YaYgoldFish
09-03-2007, 04:07 AM
I doub't your fry will attack the other one, unless theirs really a big difference between sized, then they might see them as food. But its pretty rare to see a guppy eat a baby guppy..even at adult size.

Drumachine09
09-03-2007, 04:21 AM
I wouldnt expect your fry to swim for a day or two.

Yajimari21
09-03-2007, 04:26 AM
thanks! I was just worried that curiosity would get the best of my older fry and they would nip the younger fry to death! thanks for your advice!

++ I just found another fry, lol--- up to 7 newborns :)

AquaQueen
09-03-2007, 12:50 PM
You should find lots of fry, they are good hiders...lol Don't be surprised if ya find more of them over the next day or so...lol That's how they learn to survive. I wouldn't worry about them not swimming they usually dont move much and dont eat at all for the first day or so. They will be fine. Good Luck with all your babies...from the sounds of things you have your own "Fishie Birthing Unit" in your home never mind going to a Hospital...lol Kidding