PDA

View Full Version : Plant Id, I completely forgot name

bignellm
04-26-2012, 12:53 AM
For the life of me, I cannot recall what this plant was called. It always lagged behind, but since has come back to itself since being placed into my new tank.

Can someone please help jog my mind on this plant. Thank you in advance. :22:

KingFisher
04-26-2012, 01:08 AM
Well it's a type of cryptocoryne. I will let the crypt keepers say which species it is. Maybe wentii or lutea.

xximanoobxx
04-26-2012, 01:19 AM
lutea is what it is from the structure of the leaves. However, the spathe is the only way to guarantee its species.

bignellm
04-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Did a Google on both and this pic of Cryptocoryne Lutea came up from my local Aquarium Club. That plant below, definitely looks just like what mine did fresh out of the container last year.
http://www.grandvalleyaquariumclub.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Cryptocoryne-lutea-150x150.jpg

Thanks for the memory jog. I needed it. thumbs2:

Edit: Reading the page the plant pic is on, interesting subject on how best to grow it.
http://www.grandvalleyaquariumclub.org/plants/297/

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2012, 04:12 PM
big.......I also can't remember the name of my crypts. They look like yours when smaller (green) but as they grew become more copper colored. But really......I just dragged out this photo I took in JANUARY. These crypts on the left are now at the waters surface. Once I stopped moving them every two months, they really went nuts.

Excuse all these circles in the photo!

bignellm
04-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Yea, mine's been hibernating for a little under a year under T8 lighting in my 16 and 10 gallon tanks. Very low lighting for these. These little ones were half-1/4 their current size in those tanks. Was just enough to keep them alive. Though I remember their original potted size and that pic was spot on. I will keep a very tight eye on these, as I'm deeply interested in seeing what they will do.

Also, those needle leaf ludwigia's you sent are some of my favorite additions to my 50. They look great, doubled in size both in length and leaf. Also, glowing red now. thumbs2:

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2012, 04:50 PM
Good to hear. I also remembered after I posted that photo why I had those plants circled! It's the photo I took to send you! LOLOL

What was the name of the floaters I got from you? I can't remember the name of them either. *sigh

bignellm
04-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Brazilian Pennywort :ssmile: Hope they're thriving for you and working out. thumbs2:

VVVV Current pic of one of the Needles. They really seem to love this tank. :22:

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Thanks a bunch.

Looking good there! Nice job.

bignellm
04-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Couldn't have done it with out you though. Absolutely no one round here has that Ludwigia. Cubans yes, Narrows yes too, but Needle--no, too rare for them to stock around here.