PDA

View Full Version : Have a question

lizzyuru
04-25-2012, 11:13 PM
Now I had a common Pleco growing up. I remember when we got him he was fairly small. Last time I saw him he was about 18" I would say. So I know they get BIG. Though they are beautiful fish imo. But right now, I have a single Pleco alone in a tank that I know is much too small for him. It is a 10 gallon (there is a long dramatic story about the tank size, please dont criticize me for the size. I fully understand its too small and I am willing to do the extra work to monitor the water to make sure its healthy for him until I can move him)

He is currently about 2" long, so hes a youngin'. How fast do you think he would grow to where I would have to move him to a larger tank?

I am moving in a few months, and would like to hold out till then for an appropriate tank. But if he needs to absolutely be in a bigger tank like this very moment or he will flat out die I would like to know. I am planning on getting a 55-100 gallon tank for him to live in after I move set up.

Cliff
04-25-2012, 11:17 PM
If you are only taling about 4 or 5 months you should be OK. Keep a close eye on him and your water parameters.

I would suggest getting a 125 gallon tank for him as a 55 would get to be too small as well

ScottishFish
04-25-2012, 11:21 PM
+1 to cliff,

I am currently growing out a common pleco, I done some research and have been told by different people that they can grow 3-6 inches a year, depending on food etc,

Have you got driftwood for him? They require it in their diet and use it for hiding.

lizzyuru
04-25-2012, 11:24 PM
yes, it will be probably 2 months until I move at most. I will get the big tank for him. I will start saving my pennies now! haha! I would rather have a tank the 125g size like you suggested cause there is just more you can do with them as far as I can tell. I dont want to overstock it of course, so I have to do some research a bit about that size tank. I would love to have catfish or something in a tank that large. But I dont know if Cats and Pleco's are good tankmates. (though Pleco's are Cats from what I have read) But if thats not a good match I will pick fish that would be. I just really love Catfish (though have never had them in a tank before, they are usually what I go fishing for haha love those channel cats)

ScottishFish
04-25-2012, 11:29 PM
Plecos are 'catfish'

I think catfish appeal to such a wide audience due to their diversity. Just for your own interest have a google at some of these;

For community aquaria -peppered, sterba, bronze, juli corydoras

More predatory or large cichlids - featherfin squeaker, african dwarf giraffe catfish (I have one)

Plecos - zebra, bristlenose, L262 (got one), pinstripe, clown

lizzyuru
04-25-2012, 11:42 PM
yes I do have driftwood in there, a smaller peice of it though. He may not make it cause if you remember earlier today Scottish fish guy haha I was the one whos Hubby put 2 large goldfish and the Pleco in an uncycled tank. The Goldfish are gone now, and I am keeping a keen eye on the Pleco. I have been watching the tank for hours at a time since we got them so I pretty much know his behavior so I can see if he is acting strangely. I even come in the room when its dark with the hall light on so I can see in the tank and watch my Pleco do his thing. I just love him. I since there is no algae in the tank (since its uncycled and brand new) I have been giving him blanched broccoli which he seems to like as well as an algae wafer which I am not sure if he ate or if the greedy goldfish that were in there with him ate.

Also, are Pleco's affected by pH? I read that the driftwood lowers the pH in a tank. So is that something I should be mindful of?

ScottishFish
04-25-2012, 11:49 PM
At this time pH won't matter too much as long as it is stable.

Bottom dwellers are the most at risk when cycling a tank, also after a tank is cycled it is best to leave the plecos and loaches until the tank is established, matured and settled. For any chance of your pleco making it I would suggest daily 50% water changes. Plecos are messy fish, often been said to 'poop sawdust' so get a gravel cleaner, great for cleaning bottom of tank and doing a water change at same time.

Cermet
04-26-2012, 12:29 AM
I strongly advise to get a water test kit and test daily for ammonia and as they climb, tailor the water changes as needed. Of course, nitrItes will begin at some point and these can be VERY deadly to fish. These must be kept as low as possible (within reason, aim for no higher than 0.2/0.3; need some to get the bacteria to grow but not an issue if you are just doing one WC a day.) Test kit should have pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. KH, and GH are nice but not required.

lizzyuru
04-26-2012, 12:32 AM
yea, I am worried about him. And I dont have high hopes that he will live unfortunatly. That is a horrible thing to say but its true, I dont expect him to live though at this very moment he is fine. I have one of those, what I always called a syphon. The plastic tube on the hose to vaccuum the gravel. Now I have mixed advice on weather to do a water change or not to keep him alive, cause I am not a monster, I would really rather he live. Someone who is VERY experianced with fish that I know said dont touch the water and let it cycle. Cause if I change the water he said it would not let the water cycle. He said change only a tiny bit of the water just to take the edge off if it gets bad. There are so many different opinions on everything about aquariums, it gets very confusing.

lizzyuru
04-26-2012, 12:55 AM
I feel like a complete moron, and a monster for making a fish endure this. I mean it wasnt my idea to get the fish at this point and time to begin with (but thats a whole other can of worms). But it is the situation that fell into my lap. I am not normally an idiot like this, I promise. I just feel like all you fish experts think I am just another dummy who rushed in and bought fish without a thought. Cause thats not it at all.

Dennis Bissett
04-26-2012, 06:42 AM
yea, I am worried about him. And I dont have high hopes that he will live unfortunatly. That is a horrible thing to say but its true, I dont expect him to live though at this very moment he is fine. I have one of those, what I always called a syphon. The plastic tube on the hose to vaccuum the gravel. Now I have mixed advice on weather to do a water change or not to keep him alive, cause I am not a monster, I would really rather he live. Someone who is VERY experianced with fish that I know said dont touch the water and let it cycle. Cause if I change the water he said it would not let the water cycle. He said change only a tiny bit of the water just to take the edge off if it gets bad. There are so many different opinions on everything about aquariums, it gets very confusing.
I think your friend is confusing a fishless cycle and a fish in cycle - your bacteria grow in the filter, not the water, if you dont do water changes, the accumulation of ammonia from the fish, and the nitrites from when the bacteria start to work will be very toxic to your little fella. Keep doing the changes, and monitor your parameters with a test kit so you know where your cycles at (PS from experience they can be tough little devils, and if lucky can survive)

Lady Hobbs
04-26-2012, 07:33 AM
Problem in new tanks is that they also starve to death. You have to make sure he has some veggies and some pellets since there's no algae at all for him and as Scottfish says, wood is a requirement in their diet.

lizzyuru
04-26-2012, 02:16 PM
Yes, I have been giving him veggies and the algae wafers. He seems to prefer the fresh veggies haha I dont blame him. I have some driftwood in there he is always hiding in there, but cruises the tank once the lights go out

lizzyuru
04-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Actually didnt know it was part of their diet though haha. I just had it in there cause I liked the way it looked. Score one for me I guess. Yes I will continue to do the water changes and some vaccuuming in there. The water has been getting cloudy the passt few days so the cycle must be starting.

ScottishFish
04-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Cloudiness would suggest your cycle is underway.

Food that Plecos love are, zucchini, cucumber, peas, water melon, cantaloupe melon. Also good to keep a bag of algae wafers too.

lizzyuru
04-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Fingers crossed! Wish Pico the Pleco (yes I am lame and named him or her) and me luck. Gonna test the water and do water changes as needed to keep my little buddy alive! It was also suggested to me to get live plants and some more airation to help. I am very attached to Pico already haha.

ScottishFish
04-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Live plants really will help the tank for several reasons. Also an airstone never goes wrong