PDA

View Full Version : mystery snails

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 12:02 AM
Ok well i just (2 days ago) bought 2 mystery snails (brown) and well i was wondering how to tell if they have eggs ready to lay??

TowBoater
09-03-2007, 12:04 AM
Just leave the water level an inch or so from the top, they will lay it in that area when they are ready. You better scrape them off as well, I though I would have them go ahead and hatch out and now I have like 60 baby snails crawling around in my tank.

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 12:08 AM
o well i want them to hatch.
I am going to give them to my friend for there tanks.
They want some so i thought well i will just buy 2 and let them lay eggs and then you can have some for free.
lol
After the first batch i am going to scrap them off cause i ony want some not like 200.
lol

cocoa_pleco
09-03-2007, 12:29 AM
thats what my baseball sized Peruvian snail did. he laid a clump of 100 pink eggs once every couple of days right above the waterline, and i scraped them off and sold them

Rue
09-03-2007, 01:23 AM
Mystery snails are either male or female...so either you need one of each sex, or a pregnant female if you want babies...

I have babies...many MANY babies...they also take forever to grow...

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Yeah i knew that they were hermaphrodites but i was just wondering like how many eggs they will lay and just general info like that. Thank for everything.
:c5:

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Yeah i knew that they were hermaphrodites but i was just wondering like how many eggs they will lay and just general info like that. Thanks for everything.

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 01:58 AM
sorry bout double post but it said it didn't post so i hit it again and i don't know how to delete it.
(well actually this is 3 but SORRY) I really am sorry!!!!:11:

Rue
09-03-2007, 01:58 AM
No no! NOT hermaphrodites...dioecious...each is EITHER a girl or a boy...

I think each of my egg cases had roughly 200 or so eggs in it...

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 02:01 AM
o i thought that they were hermaphrodites. Oh well you probably know more about this stuff than me. lol
Well i have never heard of a dioecious. Well also...what do the eggs look like just so i know what to expect????
thanks again.

TowBoater
09-03-2007, 02:03 AM
I have 4 apple snails and I think I have roughly 60 babys in my tank right now that are the size of the end of a writing pen.

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 02:08 AM
Holly. Thats tiny. But yeah i researched them good and the eggs are very tiny. But they kinda look big because they are in a big clump.
lol
thanks

TowBoater
09-03-2007, 02:23 AM
Yea, kinda nasty looking to.

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 02:24 AM
yeah they were in the picture so im sure that they will be even groser in reall life.
lol

TowBoater
09-03-2007, 02:28 AM
Really nasty when they lay them outside the tank were it can't get moist and they are kinda like a dry rice crispy.:c6:

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 04:23 PM
eeewwww. Ok so if i am not mistaken that the eggs have to by humid right??? Like they have to stay moist??? Is this right???

cocoa_pleco
09-03-2007, 04:26 PM
thats what ive known, they have to be moist....

grossest thing, accidentally break a few. thats what happened with my peruvian apple snail, slime allover me.

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 04:30 PM
ok so if i want to scrap them off or something i will be sure to wear gloves or something.
Thanks for the little heads up. thumbs2:

TowBoater
09-03-2007, 04:51 PM
I want sterile apple snails.:c11: :19:

squirt_12
09-03-2007, 04:56 PM
o hahahahahahahaha!!!!!
lol

Arkie
09-04-2007, 03:20 AM
you guys are lucky to have them breeding, i had about 8 snails in a tank for about 6 mths and they didnt breed at all. with that many i dont think i would have had just boys or just girls???? i didnt understand it, but after that i got clown loaches then my clown loaches ate them

TowBoater
09-04-2007, 11:32 AM
Hmmm, maybe they weren't mature? Mine were a good 2" before they bred. Now they are baseball size.

squirt_12
09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah well my mystery snails havn't bred yet...but....they are a good inch...maybe not that big but pretty close. So would that be close to maturity???

EDIT- Also...can i scrap the eggs off and then move them to another tank and not set them in the water but keep them moist and will they hatch?? Because i heard that when the babies hatch they will crawl into their parents shells and it really bothers them so i thought that maybe i could move them before they are born. Could i do this???? Thanks

Arkie
09-04-2007, 11:35 PM
mine were nearly an inch, they probably got eaten before they had a chance. i feel bad

squirt_12
09-04-2007, 11:37 PM
O does that mean that i can scrap them off??? Because well the mystery snails are the only thing that i have in the tank right now. Well i have a very pregnant feeder guppy (i want the babies so that i can feed them to my friends angelfish because the angel just LOVES them) lol.

Arkie
09-05-2007, 12:01 AM
ive heard that you can do that if you keep them moist but i dont know from personal experience or anything though.

squirt_12
09-06-2007, 09:04 PM
ok well i have always wondered this...how come if the mystery snail needs water to live...that the eggs have to be out of the water but humid?????
Like can the eggs hatch if they are in the water?????

cocoa_pleco
09-06-2007, 09:13 PM
if the eggs were in water wouldnt they get overly soggy?

squirt_12
09-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Well i didn't know because like fish eggs look the same (well in the pictures) and well i didn't know why they couldn't hatch in water because the snails live in water. I just find the concept very strange. lol
well anyways do the eggs have to have access to fresh air all of the time???
Becuase if not...i would take the eggs out of the tank..(because the tank doesn't get very much humidity...or well the tank that the snails are in) and i was going to put them in to another little like jar thing that has some of the water from the tank that they were in and and i was going to put a plastic cup over the top of the jar so that the inside of the jar (where i would have the eggs sitting on something) would get alot of humidity. lol
Would this work?????
it might sound very confusing.
lol
But if they need air could i just put a little hole in the bottom of the plastic cup for them to get air?????
Sorry for it being so long. lol

TowBoater
09-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Mine lay them in my tank lid and they stay moist in there. I have around 50 quarter inch ones right now. If anyone is close to Arkansas, you can come and get as many as you want for free.:ezpi_wink1:

squirt_12
09-06-2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah well the tank that i have them in doesn't get very much humidity. Becuase like every once in a while i will go and check the side of the tank and the lid and they are BONE DRY!!!!! So i just had a little bit of water in a jar so i placed the cup on it and the next day the whole jar was humid....so thats why i thought that i could do that.

And well i would get some of your snails but i live in Canada. Do u know of a place in Canada called Belleville or Kingston??????? (kuli)

squirt_12
09-07-2007, 12:40 AM
OMG that was SOOOO dumb of a question before. I asked if snails need to breath our air!!! DUH they need to. lol Im so dumb.

TowBoater
09-07-2007, 01:50 AM
Lol, snails can do both, they have lung adaptations and gills. No I don't know were anything is in Canada, that is several hours from Arkansas.:ezpi_wink1:

corykeeper
09-07-2007, 07:13 AM
I have 1 male and one female(just said "that one and that one" at lfs.Who knew?)now in separate tanks.She has been laying eggs about once a week for 2 months.Some have not been fertile,and some were laid to close to the light and dried out,so check the lid before you turn the light on.

Best site on apple snails I've seen so far.
It may help.It did for

me.http://www.applesnail.net

From the care page.
There are a few things to be considered to successfully breed apple snails:
- Since apple snails are gonochoristic (separated sexes), a male and a female snail are needed(obvious).
- Apple snails reproduce when the temperature rises in combination with abundance of food available.
- For those species that lay their eggs above the water, one should provide enough air space (+15cm/6 inch).
- Some species might need an aestivation period in the mud before they breed successfully (does not apply to the most common species).

It is also important to mention that female apple snails can store sperm for months, so even the eggs of a single snail can be fertile. With no male snail present, female apple snails occasionally produce infertile eggs. Obviously, these do not hatch. Last but not least: most species lay their eggs above the water and they should stay there while the eggs of aquatic layers should stay below the surface.
At the right circumstances an apple snail can produce one clutch of eggs every 4-7 days during several weeks. After this period, productivity decreases and the female snail regains strength. The species, temperature and availability of food are the main factors in the egg production.

The size of the eggs varies from 2.2 to 3.5 mm / 0.01 to 0.14 inch each (in case of Pomacea canaliculata), whereas Pomacea paludosa and Pila globosa for example lay eggs with a diameter of 4 to 7 mm / 0.16 to 0.28 inch. The eggs at the surface probably won't deliver you many little snails when the air humidity is not optimal, but often the eggs deeper inside the clutch thrive well.

It's no problem to transfer the egg clutch to another location, as long as you are careful not cause too much damage. A damages clutch is more prone to infections and evaporation. The best way to move the eggs is by wetting the clutch, wait a few hours and then carefully move the clutch over the surface until it comes off. Obviously this method is of most successful on glass or other smooth surfaces.

squirt_12
09-07-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah well alot of that is nice but.... i have MYSTERY SNAILS. A little different than apple snails.
But thanks for all of the other info. That actually really helped me.

corykeeper
09-08-2007, 09:11 PM
Apple snail and mystery snail seem to be synonymous.The info out there is very jumbled.Some say Mystery and Apple are different species,some say the same species.
The 2 snails I have are Pomacea bridgesii,and as of yesterday 1 Asolene spixi.Both are listed as subspecies of Ampullariidae family.

Ampullariidae is used as the family name,or as the only name for Apple and Mystery snails.
Viviparidae are also sold as Mystery snails as are Thiaridae.

Pomacea bridgesii lay eggs above the water line.
Asolene spixi lay eggs below the water line.
Viviparidae give birth to live young.
Thiaridae unfertilised females are able to reproduce

Pomacea bridgesii are the most common snail sold,Apple or Mystery you might want to identify the species.It may save a surprise or two.

applesnail.net is just a good starting point.

Bodhi
09-15-2007, 12:27 AM
At least, I hope it was:

I just bought a mystery snail today and put her in my 29 planted tank as part of my algae eating squad. I've had issues with algae in the past, but since I've upped the water changes to daily, and added a male mystery snail to the pack, my problems have apparently been eliminated.

Now, I'm not interested in having any babys in my planted tank, because I know through experience it'd be almost impossible to eliminate them once they get established. By "established" I mean "born."

My original snail is pretty attractive, but I don't get to see him as often as I'd like. Essentially I got him a companion in hopes of more frequent sitings.

Notice I called the snails him and her?

That's because out of curiosity, I thought I'd read up on them here. I was pleased with the amount of information and just wandered over to my tank, this screen still up on the comp, and thought I'd see how the two were doing.

Imgaine my dismay to find them in a mating embrace! Fortunatly I couldn't see any appendages touching, so hopefully they hadn't had time to complete the act. They're seperated now.

I'm glad I saw this thread when I did, I was about to have more frequent sitings than I had bargained for!