PDA

View Full Version : New fish for the tank.

Singoalla
01-02-2005, 11:41 PM
I have 10 serpae tetra in a 30 gal tank. I would like to add something else, anyone have any suggestions? They are a bit aggresive towards each other, at least I think they are because they are biting, but not enough to wound each other seriously.

William
01-07-2005, 07:30 PM
Well the options are endless. The serpeas usually only are aggressive within their species, however the are fin nippers so you shouldn't choice long fined fishes. I might suggest a few catfishes and a pair of dwarf cichlids.

Neptune
01-20-2005, 02:58 PM
You could add a pair of dwarf or honey gouramis, some small catfish (most corydoras would work), dwarf cichlids, etc. Do some researching and find what you'd like best. The options are indeed almost endless!

Singoalla
02-13-2005, 08:42 AM
I've bought 2 Spotted Cory.
Are honey gouramis easy to keep?

Neptune
02-18-2005, 07:06 AM
Yes, I find Honey gouramis to be a very undemanding and peaceful species. A pair would be a nice addition to your setup if they appeal to you.

Singoalla
04-07-2005, 05:24 PM
Just wanted to tell you that I am nowadays a proud Honey Gourami owner. They seem to be doing very well. :D

GCB
07-19-2005, 08:59 PM
did you get a male or female? yeah you might want to expand that cory group to 5.......

thapsus
07-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Does serpaes nip your new fishes? I've had serpaes and they nipped my corys. I think serpaes are really beautifull fishes but eventually I got tired to their aggressiveness and gave serpaes away.

How about your gouramy? I had dwarf gouramies with serpaes and serpaes didn't nip them. Was I (or my gouramies) just lucky?

Here's one of mine, you can see the nipped tail (<- what's real term to this, by the way?)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/thapsus/Hyphessobryconserpae.jpg

AKI
01-03-2006, 03:35 PM
get a pair of blue dwarf gourmais i dont know if they are the right choice but when i bought a black shark fish it startd biting the scales of many of my fish andy they were hurt seriously except for the gormais. when the black shark chased the gourmai the gourmai turned back and chased the shark away. but the gourmais are really peacefull and shy fish but the can defend them selves. u shouldnt buy one only as it might start chasing other fish but not hurt them.

AQUA_KING
06-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Despite them being fin nippers i keep mine in with 2 angles and other community fish.

i have 4 one is getting old and losing its dominance,

sorry dont meen to drag on

Maby keyholes. They are lower to mid dwelling, so some top dwelling fish like hatchets.

AQUA_KING