PDA

View Full Version : bubbles

caitandjason
09-02-2007, 06:02 PM
My tank has a thin layer of bubbles at the top of it. The ph is 7.6 even though i added ph down to it last night. and the ammonia levels are between safe and stress. My fish seem fine and happy tho... Should I be worried about the bubbles, and will the ph level go down?

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 06:04 PM
http://www.firsttankguide.net/aquarium_bubbles.php

Bubbles on top means you need to do more/larger water changes. Adding pH down is unnecessary and causes too many fluctuations for the fish to live. Unless you use buffers, etc, the pH will just rise back up. There is nothing wrong with a pH of 7.6.

Just because they sell chemicals doesn't mean you need to buy them. Fish are much happier if they can get used to what they live in without all these unnecessary additives. pH is never stable anyway during a cycle.

Please be careful at this point. You have ammonia in the water with is TOXIC and will still get nitrites......also TOXIC. You need to test daily and do water changes as often as is necessary.......which will probably be daily with oscars.

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Just to further add........fish can be affected by ammonia and nitrites after a tank has fully cycled. You may not see signs of stress right now but you will later if water is not kept in the safe zone. Fin rot, ick are common in fish that have gone thru a cycle. Their immune systems are compromised so everything that comes along they are unable to fight off.

Please pay very close attention during this time or your fish will not live.

If you are going to have Oscars, be careful not to use charcoal filters, feed them very well and feed them good food with vitamins. Oscars often get Hole in the Head disease if not cared for carefully.

caitandjason
09-02-2007, 06:16 PM
should i add anything to get the ammonia down once i do a water change?

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 06:21 PM
No. The water changes will bring the ammonia levels down. Let the amount showing of ammonia quide you in how much water needs changing.

One of the products I've read about here that does not prevent cycling and helps is AMMO-LOCK. I would use nothing else, tho. You need that ammonia to cycle but not enough to kill.

gm72
09-02-2007, 09:03 PM
Are we talking about a tank that is cycling or one that has already cycled?

cocoa_pleco
09-02-2007, 09:13 PM

If you are going to have Oscars, be careful not to use charcoal filters, feed them very well and feed them good food with vitamins. Oscars often get Hole in the Head disease if not cared for carefully.

ditto, use NO carbon (my oscar has a fluidized bed filter, and a aquaclear 300 with sponges and ceramic rings), feed high quality food (hikari, NLS), and most of all do at least 50% water changes weekly.

i havent read the other posts (im busy, lol) but the bubbles are from not enough circulation on the surface

caitandjason
09-03-2007, 01:35 AM
It has fish in it. I did a 50% water change today, and the bubbles are still there but not as bad. The ph is 7.6 and the ammonia went down to safe. But the water is kind of cloudy and i dont know if it's from my tap water or not but i checked it as i was putting it in there and it looked ok.

why aren't you suppost to use carbon filters? we've always used them and never had any problems.

Lady Hobbs
09-03-2007, 02:03 AM
Carbon is suspected of being one of the contributing factors of HITH with cichlids. (Hole in the head) The carbon in those filters is only effective for two weeks. They are good to use to remove medications but beyond that are not particularly useful. People use them for months, rinse them off in tank water ready to be discarded and that is fine for fish other than cichlids but in reality, the carbon is no longer effective when it's time for them to remove meds from their tank.

Most people here use other sources than carbon such as sponges or filter floss and save on the carbon for times of need. Cheaper too.

You may be going thru a bit of a mini-cycle if you have cloudy water. Make sure you always use dechlorinated water. It may just be a bit dirty, as well, as you have that food in the gravel.

caitandjason
09-03-2007, 02:20 AM
well when i cleaned the tank i have a python so it picks up the gravel and gets the gunk out and it wasn't particullay dirty as i've only had the tank for ohhhhh maybe a week. and I would buy a new filter butttt im poor. haha. and we've never had any problems with it, so i guess i'll jsut hope it stays like that. I have no idea if there is clohrine in the water... i'm not sure what exactly they do at the water plant, but i bought stuff to "make tap water safe" that says will take out chlorine and such from water....

2manyfish
09-04-2007, 02:00 AM
Any public drinking water must have at least chlorine in it to keep it free from bacteria. Most water companies are now using chloramines instead though. Chloramines are a combination of chlorine and ammonia. The ammonia helps to keep the chlorine from gassing off as it goes down the line. If you have chloramines, you must use a water conditioner made specifically for chloramines.
You can check your local water here to see what your water has in it....

www.epa.gov/safewater/

Bubbles on the surface usually means you have dissolved organic compounds (DOC's) in your water. Nothing horrible but usually a sign of overfeeding, not cleaning enough...you can use your python and aim the open end up at the surface of the water. It will suck all that stuff in. The main thing is to do plenty of decent sized water changes right now. Keep your ammonia and nitrite levels down!!

The carbon issue is one that I don't particularly buy into. I use carbon in all my tanks and have for years. It lasts much more than a week or two, helps to keep the water clear and can remove heavy metals from the water. I am using it with my oscar at this point and even though he's only going on 1 year, he hasn't shown signs of HTH (hole in the head) yet. It is suggested that yellow tangs (saltwater fish) are also prone to HLLE (head and lateral line erosion) because of carbon. My yellow tang has been swimming in a tank with this stuff for almost 7 years now and no effect at all.
I think one of the biggest reasons for this issue with carbon comes more from the fact that some people don't rinse the carbon well enough. You do want to remove any of the dust that comes with it. The dust may indeed cause problems but since I always rinse well I guess I'll never know for sure!! Anyway just my 2. :c3:

caitandjason
09-05-2007, 05:19 AM
Yea i've never had any problems with my oscar at my moms house and shes been using it since she had fish and never had any problems. The water seems to be fine now. one of my fish however...not so much. One is fine and happy and swimming around. The other is kinda floating around like he's dead. but he's still breathing and sometimes he'll snap out of it and swim around..kinda... but im not holding out much hope for him... =(

caitandjason
09-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Bubbles on top means you need to do more/larger water changes.
I dont think thats it. Because they are there right after i change the water and i do at least 50% once a week. ANd this week I think i've done it twice....