PDA

View Full Version : Silver Goldfish?

Atlantis Child
09-02-2007, 05:21 PM
Hi

Has anyone heard of attempts to breed a type of goldfish that is silver in color? Have been musing about it, researching, and asking around. It used to exsist way back when the Japanese began breeding goldfish and koi, but they only liked the the gold ones...so they didn't encourage the silver colored ones. There are silver colored koi though.

But the almost silver goldfish seem to exist, not Quite silver, but pale goldy/silver. And they're in the feeder bin. Not the best place to get good quility fish.

Would want to create new type that is true silver and reproduces silver consistantly if possible.

Any information, links or comments would be greatly appreciated.

- Atlantis Child

tropfish
09-02-2007, 05:56 PM
i used to have a silver goldish. won it at a fiar last year (i felt bad and ino its jsut giving them money but still.) He was pure silver very pretty, but had a bad fungus infection that developed literally overnight and i couldn't save him.

Atlantis Child
09-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Yeah, when I bought an almost silver goldfish as a "feeder fish" it's fins were torn. I figured the others had been biting at his tail, but over about two days it got worse. By the time I figured he had tail rot there wasn't anything I could do. There were no obvious white flecks or such usually found with tail rot. Found him dead shortly after. I don't know how much of him it ate away before he died, and how much my catfish had eaten away at him. Bad Chewy!

I think there was probably nothing I could do. The extremely crowded and bad situation of being in the feeder tank were probably too stressful to be cured even when removed.

I can't believe they sold him as feeder though, no matter the color. Except for his ratty tail he was gorgeous.

- Atlantis Child

Rue
09-03-2007, 01:33 AM
...well, silver is the default colour for many fish...so it's rather commonplace...and most people want colour in their tanks...

And there are tons of other types of silver fish out there as well...so I dunno...

Atlantis Child
09-03-2007, 03:27 AM
...well, silver is the default colour for many fish...so it's rather commonplace...and most people want colour in their tanks...

And there are tons of other types of silver fish out there as well...so I dunno...

That's true, but they aren't really metallic silver, just dull silver. Exceptions of course, such as silver hachetfish.

But once a silver strain is developed it might be able to be combined with other "fancy" varities. I think that'd be pretty cool.

Maybe people like color in their tank...but what about flash!

- Atlantis Child

YaYgoldFish
09-03-2007, 03:47 AM
That's true, but they aren't really metallic silver, just dull silver. Exceptions of course, such as silver hachetfish.

But once a silver strain is developed it might be able to be combined with other "fancy" varities. I think that'd be pretty cool.

Maybe people like color in their tank...but what about flash!

- Atlantis Child

I think you might be on to something..