PDA

View Full Version : Showing Off or Trying to Scare?

VoidParadigm
04-21-2012, 10:54 PM
How do you tell when a male betta is trying to scare a female out of his territory, or just showing off for her? I put her inside an open-top jar in his tank, and she almost immediately began showing vertical lines and keeping her head mostly down - but I can't tell what his intentions are yet.

:22:

Zander
04-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Someone else may be able to give you a more definitive answer. But in my one experience with this the betta started attacking the walls of his plastic bag, trying to attack the other one. I would say if that wasn't happening it was probably showing off.

Rhaethe
04-21-2012, 11:22 PM
Both.

Are you specifically trying to breed them?

Here's a quick n dirty read: http://watershed3.tripod.com/breeding.html

VoidParadigm
04-21-2012, 11:35 PM
Yes, I want to breed the two of them.

Ah. And she does show the "egg spot" the article you linked me to mentioned as well.

I'll try turning up the heat like the article suggests to see if that sparks his interest in building a bubble nest.

It's my first attempt at betta breeding, so I'm trying very hard to look at all the signs to see if they're ready first. I know even with that they might wind up killing or hurting one another, but best to be as safe as possible I figure.

Cyberra
04-22-2012, 01:47 AM
I've been told that a male dancing about under his nest is a good sign... But my attempts at breeding have all failed, so I really don't know