PDA

View Full Version : How's this idea for backgrounds

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 06:30 AM
I need a couple backgrounds but tired of black and don't like that powder blue and hate scenes. Dark blue, great, but it doesn't seem to be around.

I was thinking today of those plastic colored panels that kind of look like stained glass. It's used in kitchen cupboards and things like that. Seems to me I've seen it in a tinted gray. I was wondering about trying those panels, having them cut and gluing them to the back of the tank. There has got to be something different other than blue or black out there.

What ya think?

Arkie
09-02-2007, 06:39 AM
i think that could work, a very original idea :22:

S13DWS
09-02-2007, 08:33 AM
Sound like it could be a hit. Have you tried a tinting roll aswell that you can get for your household windows or car windows.
You could also try that plastic board. You can get it from a hardware store. its the stuff that real estate companies use.

Dave66
09-02-2007, 11:41 AM
On some of my tanks I used window tinting film, on others, I airbrushed acrylic paint in blues and greens.

Dave

S13DWS
09-02-2007, 11:49 AM
On some of my tanks I used window tinting film, on others, I airbrushed acrylic paint in blues and greens.

Dave
Hmm that sounds like a really good idea actually!!! i might have to get myself an airbrush kit:):)

Dave66
09-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Hmm that sounds like a really good idea actually!!! i might have to get myself an airbrush kit:):)

I use Tamiya clear blue and clear green acrylics. Gives a nice effect, and its non-toxic, so no fumes to deal with when you paint.

Dave

jeffs99dime
09-02-2007, 01:06 PM
that sounds like a very good idea. that would be good for the "how to" section of the forum as well. hint, hint. lol

AquaQueen
09-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Great idea hobbs. You'll have to show us how it looks if ya end up doing that. I have been investing in acrylic paints little by little because I want to draw(with a glass pen/marker) all kinds of plants that I like on the back of my tank then paint it in with a small paint brush...I talked about doing this to one of my bathrooms (only an ocean scene) but Hubby didn't like the idea so we didn't do it...he likes the idea of painting the back of the tank though. So I am going to try it probably in another month or so....I'm planning another Birthday Party for my Daughter this time.

cocoa_pleco
09-02-2007, 03:38 PM
what i used to do is buy those square colored foam sheets from dollar stores, the thin ones. just tape them together on the outside and youre finished.

those plastic panels sound cool too!

gm72
09-02-2007, 03:59 PM
I use Tamiya clear blue and clear green acrylics. Gives a nice effect, and its non-toxic, so no fumes to deal with when you paint.

Dave

Uh-oh, either a model builder or fellow RC maniac?

Great idea with airbrushing!

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 04:03 PM
http://www.estreetplastics.com/ Is this what you mean S13DWS?

In my search to find what I was looking for, I ran across this site but it's not what I want, really. This guy has plastic sheets but not in any sizes I need.

Plexiglass is too expensive. Painting foam would work. I would really like something that will pick up some light behind it tho so tank lights don't have to be on all day to see the fish. I have the tanks all set up so painting them is out as well as trying to tint. hummmm

Home Depot has got to have some type of sheets of plastic. I've seen stuff done in it before but don't know what in heck it's called. Sometime it has honeycomb pattern, diamond patterns, etc. I just need to go search in the stores I guess. I've seen people use it over windows to make them appear as stained glass.

Rue
09-02-2007, 04:20 PM
What happened to all the other backgrounds you were making?

jeffs99dime
09-02-2007, 04:38 PM
http://www.estreetplastics.com/ Is this what you mean S13DWS?

In my search to find what I was looking for, I ran across this site but it's not what I want, really. This guy has plastic sheets but not in any sizes I need.

Plexiglass is too expensive. Painting foam would work. I would really like something that will pick up some light behind it tho so tank lights don't have to be on all day to see the fish. I have the tanks all set up so painting them is out as well as trying to tint. hummmm

Home Depot has got to have some type of sheets of plastic. I've seen stuff done in it before but don't know what in heck it's called. Sometime it has honeycomb pattern, diamond patterns, etc. I just need to go search in the stores I guess. I've seen people use it over windows to make them appear as stained glass.

the material you are referring to is called lexan, hobbs
also, they have plexiglass

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Thank You!

jeffs99dime
09-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Thank You!

sure thing!:ezpi_wink1:

S13DWS
09-03-2007, 09:26 AM
Hobbs. not plexi glass :P Very expensive but i think it might be awesome look though. Here. this is the stuff http://www.made-in-china.com/image/2f0j00LHEatcQgopdRM/PP-Hollow-Board.jpg

Who said something about RC??????
I do RC drifting. I have an Alex Racing Design Stinger. Its alright i guess:P

Ill pm a pic if someone wants one.. pm me and ill send a poic through to you:):)