PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Angelfish Again

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 04:20 AM
Please send me your name and address if you want an angelfish. I can not quarantee the envelope will remain closed, however.

I have a glass bread board. Tonight I have it wedged in my 55 gallon to separate the 4 I have in there.

:10::10:

:10:

cocoa_pleco
09-02-2007, 04:22 AM
lol, more angel woes? honestly if i lived closer to you i would take 4 of them.

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 04:24 AM
Great. I'll get a big manila envelope tomorrow.

cocoa_pleco
09-02-2007, 04:25 AM
lol, that'd be funny, a package with something wiggling in it. sounds like you need a 200g with 10 dividers for those angels!

nanaglen2001
09-02-2007, 05:08 AM
Hobbs are you really sure you keep Angels??? I guess they are something else in a disguise. :ezpi_wink1:

I always hear I keep agressive animals, but compared to your Angels mine are behaving like ahem...angels:laugh1blue:

Why not let them fight it out? OK there may be some collateral damage then, but after some days there will be peace in your tanks....more or less I guess.

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 05:14 AM
I wish someone would have kicked my A$$ before I got these guys. What was I thinking? I now am cycling my neighbors tank. I don't know if he knows it, but he is getting some of them! But figuring out which ones is another problem. How can you love and hate the same fish?

cocoa_pleco
09-02-2007, 05:25 AM
lol, i dunno, i think you can hate them, but then they have that cute look. the issue with my 3 fighting in the 55g quit, all little friends now.

Dave66
09-02-2007, 05:26 AM
I wish someone would have kicked my A$$ before I got these guys. What was I thinking? I now am cycling my neighbors tank. I don't know if he knows it, but he is getting some of them! But figuring out which ones is another problem. How can you love and hate the same fish?

Hobbs,
You've GOT to keep them in groups; six minimum, 10 or more preferred. Only way to diffuse the psychotic cichlid behavior. Some keep a few Dr. Jeckyls sucessfully, you've unfortunately run into the Mr./Mrs. Hyde. More numbers will prevent that.

Dave

nanaglen2001
09-02-2007, 05:30 AM
Its like in a dogs pack, they will fight it out, and it will look horrible. But if they cleared everything, it should be ok.

I am just imagining, one tank for every Firemouth and Sajica I keep....oha I would have about 18 tanks...

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 05:49 AM
What works for me is dividing them into pairs and giving them each their own tank. Everyone loves each other that way. I can't even imagine trying to keep them together. The nicest ones would be bullied to death and kept in hiding. I can not stand when one gets bullied and can't come out of hiding.
I want to grab the mean one and throw him in a pail.

I've always read that cichlids need lots of their own but also that angels should be divided into pairs????

cocoa_pleco
09-02-2007, 05:53 AM
. I can not stand when one gets bullied and can't come out of hiding.

me either! it makes no sense that he poor fish does nothing and it gets attacked, just live my severum and clown knife. the knife did nothing yet the severum didnt rest until he was dead (the severum attacked him when i was gone for a hour and the knife was so beaten he barely moved and his silver skin was pink, he had to go in the freezer then get buried)

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 06:22 AM
Sorry.

I can't imagine being stuck in a glass box with something just after you all day long. It's stressful for them and no life at all. Fish are supposed to be able to swim and move about not hide all day. I just stuck that divider in the tank 2 hours ago and the pair in hiding are out swimming about now without being harassed. This may be the end of me ever having cichlids. I need nicer fish!

Dave66
09-02-2007, 11:52 AM
Sorry.

I can't imagine being stuck in a glass box with something just after you all day long. It's stressful for them and no life at all. Fish are supposed to be able to swim and move about not hide all day. I just stuck that divider in the tank 2 hours ago and the pair in hiding are out swimming about now without being harassed. This may be the end of me ever having cichlids. I need nicer fish!

Four or five dozen neon tetras would fit the bill . . .
I like the small and mellow myself. Only cichlids I have these days are two species of Apistogramma.

Dave

S13DWS
09-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Four or five dozen neon tetras would fit the bill . . .
I like the small and mellow myself. Only cichlids I have these days are two species of Apistogramma.

Dave

I have to agree. Everywhere i see the bigger fish i think how they arent as cool looking as the smaller ones.

As i type this i notice some odd behaviour in my tank... normally they would be chasing each other... i have two fish atm going round in circles.. it almost looks as if they are dancing....

Oh theyve stopped now...

But yes definatly like the smaller ones better than the larger fish they seem to look as if they are nippy and fast when they swim... so cool to watch!!!

Dave66
09-02-2007, 12:03 PM
I have to agree. Everywhere i see the bigger fish i think how they arent as cool looking as the smaller ones.

As i type this i notice some odd behaviour in my tank... normally they would be chasing each other... i have two fish atm going round in circles.. it almost looks as if they are dancing....

Oh theyve stopped now...

But yes definatly like the smaller ones better than the larger fish they seem to look as if they are nippy and fast when they swim... so cool to watch!!!

I went through my tank-buster/aggressive monster cichlid phase when I was a teenager. Nowdays its the small, schooling and colorful and I'm a sucker for neat loricariads.

2manyfish
09-02-2007, 12:39 PM
Hobbs, why don't you just pick your favorite pair and sell the rest? I know it can be hard to do but when you start feeling all stressed out from keeping these fish it's time to let them go!!

Personally speaking I like aggressive fish!! But the only time I had angels fighting was when I tried to put 6 into a 55g (all went into the tank at the same time, etc). All you-know-what broke out in there!! Within a couple of hours I ended up scooping out 4 angels and left my fav pair in there. Later on, I took the other 4 back to the LFS for store credit. I always hate taking fish back but sometimes you just don't have another choice...or at least maybe the choice isn't there at the time.

tropfish
09-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Sorry to hear it hobbs! I've never heard of angels acting so agressive. I mean even my tank isnt that agressive and i have a bp a firemouth and a con in there! (they're no agression so far thumbs2:)

RobbieG
09-02-2007, 02:45 PM
My wife and I just bicked up a new baby angel yesterday - its so small that it looks like an eye with 2 inch fins. Haveing had them before we picked out the one we wanted - went "ooh look how peaceful he looks" - then both cackled evilly!

AquaQueen
09-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Poor Hobbs, there's always some kind of issue with them "Angels" Pffft...more like Devils, that you have. What spoiled brats they are!! Why dont they all just learn to get along...right? Don't they know the troubles you go through to keep them happy & comfortable?? I wish ya nothing but luck with them Carol...you definitely need some.

Lady Hobbs
09-02-2007, 03:05 PM
I think the aggression is simply due to the males and females pairing off. They are very territorial is all which is pretty typical cichlid behavior. I had 9 in one tank and they were all fine until they matured. The 3 pair I have (now all separated) get along fine alone but it's the remaining 3 odd-balls that cause all the problems. These 3 have to go.

MeganL3985
09-02-2007, 03:16 PM
Oh Hobbs I didn't know your name is Carol! :) Thats my moms name too!

AquaQueen
09-02-2007, 03:22 PM
you never been to her PhotoBucket page? It says CarolO.

MeganL3985
09-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I've been on the photobucket page, but never noticed the CarolO though. I'm not very observant. lol (Obviously with a missing dead oto! lol I'm glad I can semi-laugh about it now. Last night was horrid!)

freshwaterfishlover
09-25-2007, 11:06 PM
I know it wrong and to small of a tank, but once I keeped 2 Angels in a 10g and they never fought. I plan for 2 Angels in my 45g tank.

TowBoater
09-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Man hobbs again? Why does this not surprise me.:hmm3grin2orange:

Lady Hobbs
09-26-2007, 12:20 AM
Oh shush. That's the same post as before. LOL

I love all my rotten angels. I just need more tanks and I will love them even more.

TowBoater
09-26-2007, 01:02 AM
Lol, just please don't hurt me.:hmm3grin2orange: