PDA

View Full Version : sick platys

jfd
09-02-2007, 01:33 AM
I've had my platys- 7 mixed sexes and colors for 7 months now and a couple of them suddenly looked deflated and not well. I have 4 larger rainbows that are very busy-I watch my platys and they seem to be eating. They were full grown when I purchased them (haven't gotten any bigger at least). Could they just be old? My water readings have been consistent the entire time.

MeganL3985
09-02-2007, 01:45 AM
It could be an internal parasite. That causes lethargy, decreased appetite, weight lose, etc.
Also even if they are eating well, the parasite will make them lose weight regardless.

RobbieG
09-02-2007, 01:50 AM
You can sometimes "see" internal parasites as dark spots - it would be a dark spot that was visible from both sides of the fish. If they are eating normally but still losing weight it is a strong possibility.

Check them carefully if you think you see something like that (the behavior or the spot) try using something like the jungle anti-parasite tabs.

jfd
09-02-2007, 01:51 AM
We love the Steelers too. What can I do about a possible intestinal parasite?

Dave66
09-02-2007, 01:54 AM
I've had my platys- 7 mixed sexes and colors for 7 months now and a couple of them suddenly looked deflated and not well. I have 4 larger rainbows that are very busy-I watch my platys and they seem to be eating. They were full grown when I purchased them (haven't gotten any bigger at least). Could they just be old? My water readings have been consistent the entire time.

Nearly all fish, even those captive bred, have intestinal worms. They don't affect healthy fish, but stress, like chills, poor water quality, etc. can weaken the fish and the worms start 'eating' whatever food you use. I puree fresh garlic, mix it with their food. Feed them thus for five or six weeks. The worms can't metabolize the garlic, and slowly starve. When they die the fish can void them. Don't worry, the garlic is good for the fish, and I haven't had one that wouldn't eat it.

Dave

jfd
09-02-2007, 01:58 AM
There are no black spots but I have noticed a white spot and parts of tails-thought a couple tail nippers. Should I get the tabs? Did you do the garlic everyday every feeding--a bit of food and a bit of garlic?

RobbieG
09-02-2007, 02:00 AM
I'm not really sure what you mean by the "white spot and parts of tails"

MeganL3985
09-02-2007, 02:02 AM
I would definitely give the tabs a try. It really sounds like an internal parasite to me. Like RobbieG suggested, give those Jungle Anti-parasite tabs a try.

And good to meet another steelers fan! :)

jfd
09-02-2007, 02:09 AM
2 of my guys had a tiny bit of their tails missing. I guess that would have nothing to do with an internal parasite. My lfs ran out of bloodworms a couple weeks ago so I got a package of tubifex. I wonder if they could have gotten the parasite from that after reading Lady Hobbs post about them. I will run out tomorrow for the tabs. All was good until the last worms were fed.

RobbieG
09-02-2007, 02:13 AM
I have used the tabs before and they worked very well (The fish that had the parasite was a clown loach and they are very tough to treat)

Just remember to remove your filter carbon (if you use it)

If the fish should pass on before you can cure it make sure you remove it immediately

jfd
09-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Yesterday I bought the anti-parasite medicine and now I am losing my betta and another platy. Is there anything else I can do? It is horrible just sitting around watching my fish die off. Is it safe for me to do a water change?