PDA

View Full Version : Canister question

zackish
09-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Ok today I finally took my HOB filter off of my 29g. However, I emptied out all the carbon out of the bio bag insert and rinsed it off. I then put it right in with my ceramic rings in my canister so later on when I want to start my QT/10 gal I am all set. Do any of you see any harm in this as far as disrupting the water flow etc.? The water flow right now seems normal so I am thinking it will be ok. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Zac

cocoa_pleco
09-01-2007, 11:27 PM
should be fine, i see no problem with it

jeffs99dime
09-01-2007, 11:28 PM
what kind of canister is it?

Dave66
09-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Ok today I finally took my HOB filter off of my 29g. However, I emptied out all the carbon out of the bio bag insert and rinsed it off. I then put it right in with my ceramic rings in my canister so later on when I want to start my QT/10 gal I am all set. Do any of you see any harm in this as far as disrupting the water flow etc.? The water flow right now seems normal so I am thinking it will be ok. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Zac

Hope you rinsed out the carbon in tank water, not tap, Zac. You should also replace your carbon after three months. Do so about a third at a time to preserve your biobed. Loose carbon won't restrict flow as long as it doesn't lift and get jammed in the impeller.

Dave

zackish
09-02-2007, 08:19 PM
I thought carbon was bad and I have a Rena Xp2.

gm72
09-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Carbon isn't bad, but if your tank is healthy you won't need it. Most of us here don't use any carbon and don't have any problems.

Dave66
09-02-2007, 08:23 PM
I thought carbon was bad and I have a Rena Xp2.

Carbon's reputation as a 'bad' thing comes from those who have heavely planted landscaped tanks, as the plants themselves 'filter' the dissolved organics as part of their life processes. Using carbon deprives the plants in a manner of speaking.
Carbon, regularly replaced, is one of aquarium keeping's best friends for the average tank.

Dave

zackish
09-02-2007, 08:24 PM
O, I know you just came here dave so maybe I should specify my tank.
It is planted dosing ferts and I have Co2.
Very healthy tank so I have never really used carbon.
Sorry dave haha