PDA

View Full Version : Starting over with snails?

LaurenAllyson
04-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Okay, so my entire aquarium was wiped out the last two fish died this morning and the last week has been a nightmare. I thought about selling my fish tank and getting rid of everything I've bought over the past 5 months because of all the money and time I've pissed away. And mainly the fact that anything fish related I go near ends up destroyed. Anyway to the point; i am starting over cleaning and scrubbing my whole tank down buying new substrate because my fish were dying from disease i have no idea what kind but My gourami turned greyish had thread like strings on him looked like a fungus had a misshaped white spot on him and his scales looked just weird I don't even know he looked like he was old and dusty others looked fine some had ich etc.. Now I am left with 3 mystery snails who I really don't want to see die either , they seem fine but I need to start over and cycle my tank will this hurt them what should I do with them? I don't have another tank setup so will they survive the cycle?

Joonkun
04-17-2012, 02:48 PM
i knew a friend that grew snails in a flower vase next to a window. im pretty sure snails are fairly hard but might not tolerate the ammonia. you could prob just put them in a bowl and feed them and change the water. but ill let someone with more snail experience chime in. additionally, im not sure why you put this under fish diseases.
and looking dusty with long stands sounds like flexibacter to me. make sure you scrub the tank with a bleach solotuion and then let it air dry for like 24 hours.

Lady Hobbs
04-17-2012, 03:13 PM
You tear that tank down and you again will have an uncycled tank. Fish die......fact of life. Poor water quality and being in an uncycled tank is more than we can ask of any kind of fish. Overcrowding, lack of a decent filter is another.

LaurenAllyson
04-17-2012, 03:30 PM
.. I know that's the point.. the tank wasn't properly cycled to begin with so that's what im working on.. Anyway my only question left is; is it possible for the mystery snails to carry any of the disease that went on before into the "new tank" ? They honestly seem fine , there behaviour and appearance have not changed since I have owned them

Joonkun
04-17-2012, 03:32 PM
.. I know that's the point.. the tank wasn't properly cycled to begin with so that's what im working on.. Anyway my only question left is; is it possible for the mystery snails to carry any of the disease that went on before into the "new tank" ? They honestly seem fine , there behaviour and appearance have not changed since I have owned them

i know snails can harbor diseases and be hosts to some that may not affect them much themselves. i am unsure what they would be though. also im pretty sure its fairly uncommon.

LaurenAllyson
04-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Okay, thanks for your help!

Lady Hobbs
04-17-2012, 03:44 PM
If the tank is not cycled, the fish probably didn't die from disease at all but from the cycling process.

LaurenAllyson
04-17-2012, 04:26 PM
It was set up for a few months properly cycled and healthy. there was a spot which resembled ich on one of my fish while treating I moved my tank because I had to. Everything went very downhill from there. Ruining the cycle was probably the worst thing I could of done but after resetting it back up there was string like cob webs all over the bottom of my tank and on my fish I thought it was from the snails til I seen it on my fish then I thought it was fungus or parasite . My gourami definitely had disease. He was very horrible looking. I basically did everything your not supposed to do but I was panicking anyway lesson learned starting over, just don't know whether to include the snails in the new start or not.