PDA

View Full Version : False african giraffe catfish

ScottishFish
04-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Just picked up a false african giraffe catfish from an lfs. Never seen them before, so done a quick google in the shop and thought that I could keep it and grow it up a bit then my lfs will take him off my hands.

Google could only come up with the true african giraffe cat, which grows to 3 feet, no info on the false variety. Lfs had them to grow to 10inches. Anyone got any info or experience with them? Cheers guys.

ScottishFish

ScottishFish
04-15-2012, 05:02 PM
Sorry forgot to mention that mines is currently 1.5-2inches.

ScottishFish
04-15-2012, 06:33 PM
Managed to find one thing on the net mentioning the false giraffe cat, sometimes called the dwarf giraffe catfish. Their size estimate was 8inches, and stated them as rare in the aquatic trade. Still more info from anyone who has had them or heard of them would be much appreciated!

Dave66
04-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Anaspidoglanis macrostoma is the scientific name of that catfish. If you go to planetcatfish.com and type in that scientific name, that site will tell you all you want to know about that catfish.

Dave

TheVoldevader
04-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Can't help you out I'm afraid, never heard of them until now ... but damn I want one!

ScottishFish
04-16-2012, 09:18 AM
It is the funky body shape and mouth that I really like abouth him.

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu16/xonarc578/DwarfGiraffeCatfishAnaspidoglanisma.jpg

This was just an image on the web, identical to mine though. Since searching for 'dwarf' instead of 'false' I am getting more luck on info

Rue
04-29-2012, 12:16 AM
He's kinda cute...in a giraffe catfish sort of way...