PDA

View Full Version : 1 missing scale

TXCichlid
08-31-2007, 07:31 PM
As i was feeding my texas cichlid, i noticed he is missing (what it seems to be) 1 scale on his gill. just the gill in that one little spot, instead of the pretty spot its brown hes the only fish in the tank. Is this normal? or should i be concerned?

Glasstapper
08-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Well, it's possible he rubbed against a decoration. If that's the case, watch him to see if you can catch him doing this. It might be a sign of parasites. Have you busted him scratching himself on anything?

Also, how does the spot with the missing scale look? Is it red? Swollen? His behavior and eating normal? Water parameters normal? Those are all things that might help you figure out what might be a potential problem.

gm72
08-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Great reply. I had a gold tinfoil barb that had a missing scale when I got him. Didn't end up being any problem.

Sasquatch
08-31-2007, 09:44 PM
A couple of our platies have had the same problem. If it's an "accident", it shouldn't pose a problem, kinda like when you accidentilly scrape yourself.

If he's rubbing the spot, it could be an indicator of something worse.

Long story short, keep an eye on it and if it looks like it's getting swollen or infected, treat it as appropriate.

cocoa_pleco
08-31-2007, 10:01 PM
its not a issue. my old 8" comet goldfish always nicked himself and had around 8 scales missing at a time, they heal

Arkie
09-01-2007, 01:35 AM
my silver sharks often have a few scales missing like constantly, thats because they are so jumpy, you walk past the tank after lights out and they freak, swimming all over the tank scrapping themselves on the rocks.???? they are healthy besides that though