PDA

View Full Version : New person here LOL!

Krynne
04-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Greetings, folks! I'm slowly researching some ideas on how to take care of some wee fish my son was gifted with today (he's 22 so not a young'un LOL), though it is a tad confusing.

From what I have been able to discover, I think what we have are: a jet black coloured Bubble Eye goldfish, a very orange coloured Wen Goldfish, two plecos, and two dark shelled snails... though I'm not too sure what kind of snails they are. Apparently they were all living happily together in the tank for weeks previous so I'm assuming they are ok to stay together.

My son took them in as the gent who had them decided he didn't want them anymore and was about to toss them down the toilet! My son "rescued" them form that fate and brought them home. They look quite healthy and are quite active, happily swimming around the large transparent bucket my son placed them in and have even had a bit of a nibble on some food I gave them a while ago.

I'm very new to fish raising... my father used to have several tanks of both freshwater and saltwater fish when I was much younger, but I rarely did anything with them myself except give them a bit of food on occasion. I could't even tell you what all the types were he had other than one or two species LOL!

I do know that the wee container our little fishies are currently swimming about in is probably not that good for them. I'm very curious as to what sort of things I'll be needing to get in order to make our new little friends happy, such as a size of a tank, whether to get live plants or fake, if they should have a bubbler or not, and what kind of filter to get for the tank.

If anyone has any suggestions as to what we should do for our new little swimmers (and if there is anything I haven't thought of here) I would greatly appreciate the help! Thanks much!

Edited to add: Just thought I'd point out the fish in my avatar are the fish we have :) Hope that helps a bit too!

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Welcome to AC.

Those fish will definately need a fish tank and not a small one. The Moor may grow to 10" and both those pleco's probably to one foot each. And they're need a good filter or two on the tank...probably a canister filter and a hang on the back for the opposite end of the tank.

Krynne
04-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Wow.. they will get that big? Right now the goldfish are both about the size of my thumb each, and the plecos are the size of my baby finger's first knuckle! I'll be sure to get those as soon as I can tomorrow (the shops are all closed now). Thanks much!

Lady Hobbs
04-09-2012, 11:39 PM
Different kinds of goldfish grow to different sizes and why the largest of them are generally kept in ponds.

Check the chart in my signature.

Krynne
04-10-2012, 12:30 AM
I have another dumb question... how long do I leave a light on for them? I see some people say they leave it on all the time, while others say they turn it off after a while. How long is good for them?

Edited to add: I also read about the cycling of the tanks. I would prefer to try it without the fish in the tank, however I have the fish in a small container at this time. How can I cycle my fishes new tank, yet not have the fish die waiting for their tank to be prepared?

DylanisHawttt
04-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Welcome to the forum :22:

bignellm
04-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Welcome to the AC.

MLBfan
04-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Welcome to the amazing Aquatic Community Forum.

The light cycle for most tank should be around 10 hrs light /14 hrs dark.

Old Marine
04-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Welcome to the Family!

Cyberra
04-10-2012, 03:47 AM
Welcome to the community

Lady Hobbs
04-10-2012, 06:53 AM
I have another dumb question...

Krynne, this is the Intro section. Post your other questions in the goldfish section and you'll get more help with your questions.

escamosa
04-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Hi, and welcome to AC! thumbs2:

ScottishFish
04-10-2012, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the forum

gadget228
04-10-2012, 10:42 AM
Welcome to the AC... :22: