PDA

View Full Version : Not really finding what I am looking for

zxtuner
04-05-2012, 01:48 PM
I am looking for a pleco that tops out around 12"

I am currently planning out my next tank which will be a 75g to house (hopefully) 1 tiger oscar and 1 pleco that tops out around 12"

What are your thoughts? What would you change? Is this even possible?

Thanks for the help all,

Jon

homemadepopcorn
04-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Hmm, I know that oscars need 75g minimum but I don't know if they're allowed to share it with plecos. I'm guessing no since they both grow to be a foot long but I think someone else should weigh in on that one.

As far the big plecos go, royals and commons are both very available and grow to be quite large. Rhino plecos, high fin spotted plecos, vampire plecos are larger, but I haven't seen them as much as the other two.

Commons and high fins grow to 18", but 12" is more realistic in the tank setting.

All the others grow to around 12" except for the vampire that maxes out at 10".

skullduggery1
04-05-2012, 02:06 PM
How about a goldy pleco?(scobinancistrus aureatus)OR a para pleco?(peckoltia sabaji)One of my personal favorites,but the para gets to about 10 inches.Vampires are very aggressive and will chew holes in other fish.

zxtuner
04-05-2012, 02:07 PM
That's why I am asking because what I have read and what I have seen done are two different things. I have read that one oscar is a 75g is all you can have. But then I have seen and talked with several folks that have kept a common and tiger together. I have a friend who did it for the better part of 10 years IIRC. I will have to talk with him today and double check on that.

And if all I can have is just one oscar then I may need to reconsider tank size and save up for something larger???

Thanks homemadepopcorn for the advice on the vampire and high fin plecos.

Skullduggery1 awesome call on the para pleco and the goldy Those are amazing!

homemadepopcorn
04-05-2012, 02:17 PM
I just did a quick read online...

Apparently, it may or may not work lol... I know thats not what you wanted to hear, but it seems to be the case.

If the oscar outgrows the pleco too quickly, the pleco is going to get thrashed. But, if the pleco is big enough to hold his own, the oscar wont be able to push him around.

I've read that they tend to fight.

I read one case where everything worked out okay, and another where the pleco was eaten, but the pleco was substantially smaller than that pleco.

Your best bet may be to buy a tiny oscar assuming you dont have one already and buy a larger pleco... I've found 5-7in common plecos for $25-30.

skullduggery1
04-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Wow,inflated prices in New york.Around these parts in the midwest,they sell for about 3.99 to 6.00 each,and that is at three to six inches already.Thats the common pleco.A good goldy pleco is in the fifty dollar range.

homemadepopcorn
04-05-2012, 02:39 PM
Haha its NYC! Everything is ridiculous around here. When I head back home I'm taken aback by how 'cheap' everything is.

Most exotic plecos by me sell for $50-60 for a 5-7inch.

zxtuner
04-05-2012, 02:43 PM
That's the hard part about it is you read that anything can happen. I've gotten used being disappointed with this hobby nothing new for me. I refuse to keep a fish I can't house for life and sometimes it's better to not have a fish than to knowingly house it improperly. I will keep looking and asking questions, and maybe there is something else that can work out.

Is there any other catfish that grows to around that length that could be housed with a tiger oscar?

skullduggery1
04-05-2012, 03:10 PM
Try synodontis euptera,angelicas,nigrita,ocellifer,and so on..Also a DWARF giraffe catfish,also from africa.From the asian bagrid catfish there are the black lancer catfish,black upside down catfish,and varios other mystus catfish.As far as from south america,you could get away with a sorbim lima,(black striped shovelnose)although these grow to 15 inches or so.The only others that I can think of at the moment would be the hoplosternum catfish,kind of like very large cories.

zxtuner
04-05-2012, 04:20 PM
Try synodontis euptera,angelicas,nigrita,ocellifer,and so on..Also a DWARF giraffe catfish,also from africa.From the asian bagrid catfish there are the black lancer catfish,black upside down catfish,and varios other mystus catfish.As far as from south america,you could get away with a sorbim lima,(black striped shovelnose)although these grow to 15 inches or so.The only others that I can think of at the moment would be the hoplosternum catfish,kind of like very large cories.

I had thought about synodonits euptera (althought I have just seen them called african feather fin)

I can't find pictures of the striped shovelnose catfish. can you please post some if you can find them.