PDA

View Full Version : feeding oscar frozen store bought shrimp instead of dried?

kimmers318
05-23-2006, 12:33 PM
Hubby is coming to realize the cost of feeding his monsters! He feeds a daily variety of flake, pellet, sticks, frozen and freeze dried krill/shrimp. Anyone ever feed the frozen shrimp you can buy in big bags for shrimp cocktail? Did you remove the tails? This might be a cheaper alternative.

Also, who purchases fish food online, and what site do you use, because that is another option he needs to check into.

Full3R
05-23-2006, 01:02 PM
right now i feed my two oscars on mosquito fish and bait prawns the bait prawns cost about $4.20 and that last my oscars about 2 weeks and the mosquito fish breed madly so thats an unlimited sorce but i would just by the bait prawns as the cocktails shrimps mght cost more then bait due to its need for human consumption

kimmers318
05-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the tip on the bait prawns...will certainly check into it.

What are mosquito fish?

Full3R
05-23-2006, 04:06 PM
Mosquito fish also known as plague minnows are small live bearer fish similar looking to guppies only they are much duller colours and have much smaller tails, they were introduced into nearly every country in the world, they were introduced into AUS to fight the mosquito larvea problem hense the name but its proven that AUS natives are better at eating Mosquito larvea then the mosquito fish, in one breeding season a female will have babies then soon those babies will have babies and from one female fish 9000 can be born

William
05-23-2006, 11:17 PM
I almost only use food that you can by in grocery stores simle bacause of the fact that they are so much cheaper. Froozen shrimps, krab meat, mussel and other shell fish are all good fish food.

I would recommend that you get shell less shrimps shrimps for your DPs