PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Nose and Company

bignellm
04-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Well, hoping these are Bristle Nose Pleco's, as was kind of costly to nab them. Got a pair in hopes their appetites would help to slow down some of my new algae problem. Getting an Acrylic safe algae scraper/pad later in this month.

One of the Pleco's making like the equipment, suctioned to the wall:

A pair of pics, with as unblurry as I could make it, with soo much activity going on. Got em to flare a bit:

And the last, but not least; proof my nemesis has made a house call to my new tank, via my new BN's:
Poor things, I get itchy every time I see them. :scry:

Well, aside from the costly/company side of the purchase, am happy to get these two out of Ich Hell and into treatment in one of my tanks. It's too bad, now everyone has to get a treatment in my 50...but better to get it done. Maybe since I caught it in like minutes, I can nuke them before they infect any more fish, as they fall off the poor BN's. Feel soo bad, as they're peppered. I should of seen it, but looking at them not soo closely, the Ich seems to blend right in. Makes me mad as cuss. My trusted (well, not soo trusted now) lfs, had these kept in with neons.

On a side note, can anyone from the pics, with 60% certainty, tell me these are BN's? I've never seen any up close before and they don't have the spiky nose thing happening. Don't wanna think I got burnt 2x, by getting commons.

Been Google-ing, but cannot seem to find a consensus.

Edit: Sort of look like Mini-these, minus the nose spikes:
http://www.keepingtropicalfish.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/bushy-nose-plecostomus-500p-300x200.jpg
Found at:http://www.keepingtropicalfish.co.uk/?page_id=201
Which lists them as BN's. Guess my Google skills need a refresher in regards to Plecos.

patinthehat
04-03-2012, 10:23 PM
I have some BN's about that size and a couple of them are just now starting to develop their bristles. so you should start seeing bristles here before long if they are.

bignellm
04-03-2012, 10:42 PM
That will be a site to see.
Just hope they make it over this treatment hump. So far some of the specs have fallen, so lets pray and cross fingers the meds kill the swimming invaders.

These two have completely cleared the glass around that area of the tank. In just one day! Don't see any more green there on the glass at all. They do seem to love that spray bar though. Don't see them move from there, much.

homemadepopcorn
04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
The males tend to develop very nice bristles. I'd watch those guys around the spray bar. I had an awesome butterfly pleco. He always hung around the filter intake, barely moved for two weeks. Then, randomly died, so sad :(

bignellm
04-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Am keeping very close eye on them. Honestly, I don't know if they'll make it with soo many Ich wounds, but being out of their original home at the lfs is a good start. Last night was a 75% water change and 50 drops of QuIck Cure. Tonight's the next dose. Tomorrow, most likely another 50% wc at least and more treatment.

ScottishFish
04-03-2012, 11:01 PM
I hope your BNs pull through! I love plecos, recently got a spotted queen arabesque (L262) really beautiful, but thing I'm finding is it must be really nocturnal as it hides all day . . . . I mean all day :( I know its living though as I can see part of it and it moves around shifting positions.

bignellm
04-03-2012, 11:12 PM
My 16 gallon came with a common Pleco and a fake hollow log. Know exactly what your talking about. All I'd see of the fish was a bit of tail swashing back and forth. This was back before I knew it's requirements and rehomed it.

My BN might be as well. They seem to hide on the Spray bar in the back. And the algae in that area disappeared after last night.

bignellm
04-03-2012, 11:45 PM
As the title says it all. Hit the 50 with day two's QuIck Cure dose. Hope those things are screaming in agony (the Ich).

Btw: Can anyone attest to the robustness of Diamond, Lemon, and Blood Fin Tetra? Don't wanna put them to the edge of what they can live through, by accident.

bignellm
04-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Well, lost one of the two today, was a gray corpse on the bottom of the tank. The other is still clinging to life.

Brought the body into the LFS and got some attitude about how my tank must be bad. WTF!!! Sorry for language, but did they forget they sold me a salt peppered BN?? Guess so, as the guy walked me back to tank, pulled out two of their own dead and then plopped one live one in my bag and essentially said beat it. HUH???? What gives??? Don't wanna wait till yours are cured??? Guess no, cause the tank light was on and no sign saying was being treated.

This place just lost all my respect!!!! It's now one notch below Petco/Petsmart.

ekfishlover2011
04-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Fish stores these days... Did the new one have ich bad too, or did you not take it? I hope the last one survives!

To answer Q about tetras. IME Bloodfins are very very durable when it comes to medicines and stuff. Cant answer for other two breeds though, as i have not kept them.

ScottishFish
04-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. That was pretty poor the way that lfs handled your situation!

bignellm
04-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Well, I did take the new one yesterday, and yes, it too had Ich spots. Not as bad as the first two, but they were there.

Anyway, both the new one from yesterday and the other original also died last night. Took them both in and got the third degree yet again! Got lectures about how my tank gave them Ich and the pathogen etc.etc.

I officially have no respect for that shop. Felt like screaming at them, that Ich is a *bleeping* parasite and it came from their *bleeping* tank. Anyway, the one guy I do trust "Jason" walked up and started talking to me about it. Said "yeah, they lost tons of BN and that he trusts it wasn't my tank" Also that they have more BN coming tomorrow and some Lemon tetra too. (They owe me 1 of them too, cause of a suicide one of mine did leaping out) Then he pointed out the new BN's are going in a different tank and he's breaking down the Neon tank to disinfect.

Ok, new we're talking. Just gotta deal with the parasite in my tank now.

Guess there's only one trustworthy man in that shop. He also wants me to bring in a water sample too, but said it's cause those other people up front don't wanna believe they are the ones that F'd up.

Fine/Np. I'll bring one in. I'll bring in three.

bignellm
04-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Just got back from picking up these happy campers from a DIFFERENT store and got a bonus. The other store was part of this 4 store chain that included the lfs that gave my tank ich. So, anyway, when the guy asked if there was anything else he could get/do, I said not unless you can use in-store credits. He said np, which stunned me. They didn't before, but who's arguing. So, I asked for some BN Plecos and showed him my credit and the story to go with it. He looked absolutely ashamed of what happened/how I was treated. So, he dragged me over to the BN tank and said, these are locally bred. Which ones you want. So, picked one big one and told him dealer's choice on the other. He got a nice little beastie, super active.

Got them all into the tank and they dove under my arching driftwood. They've been all over since I added them. Best part, NO ICH SPOTS!!! LOL. If this is normal BN behavior, then it's no wonder the other two died. I'm soo happy with these two. :1luvu: Just a bit freaked at how big they could possibly get. 4-5" seems a bit large. Cross fingers, is 5" but none too big or thrashy.

bignellm
04-06-2012, 08:24 PM
These two seem VERY different in personality that the original two. They've been ALL over my tank. Even upside down on my driftwood arch. Very entertaining and even noticing much of the glass algae is disappearing. Added 6 more Oto as well, and even though they had sunken bellies, they all look fat and lethargic after thanksgiving dinner now. Very interesting to see.

Got that lfs to admit they were wrong too today. Took in some water, they tested, and said "That ain't gonna kill a fish--huh, what's going on" I said, "nothing but BN's that had Ich when I got them and a suicidal Lemon Tetra."

They admitted that must be, and replaced my Lemon and I let them know my BN's were already replaced. So, No IOU's anymore.

Plus side, might of dodged a big ole' bullet, as none of my fish 4 days as of now, have shown flashing or heavy gulping at the surface. Maybe I nuked the Ich, before it could do anything. Will be continuing the nuke for 7 more days just to be sure. :sniperprone: