PDA

View Full Version : Praziquantel

Discus101.Kingfish
04-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Have any of you used praziquantel as a treatment for internal parasites.If you have please give me some info on the stuff.Like side effects,do i need a hospital tank,can i get the stuff at a pharmacy or should i use a brand specificly for aquariums.Also the doses i should use.

Scrup
04-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Safest bet is to use a pre-made medication for aquariums. It will have easy to follow directions on the bottle. An example -
http://www.amazon.com/TB635-PARASITE-CLEAR-TANKBUD-8-tablets/dp/B00025K14S

Internal parasites you may want to look at medicated food. Will only work if your fish are not too picky though.

Discus101.Kingfish
04-01-2012, 07:19 PM
My discus,piccy,never(sarcasm).

homemadepopcorn
04-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Could also try garlic... LOL and as scrup as informed me maybe onions.

But garlic is known to help treat and prevent certain parasites over the course of a couple weeks.

Scrup
04-01-2012, 07:22 PM
May be a battle of wills then. I have had to starve fish for almost a week before they would accept medicated food. Of course it is a judgement call. If the fish is actually wasting away, give up and feed it what it eats. Otherwise, don't give it an alternative.

Scrup
04-01-2012, 07:26 PM
And while I am a fan of using natural methods where applicable, garlic only goes so far. If you are dealing with say, Camalanus, there is only one known effective treatment. It is a HUGE PITA, but it is pretty much the only thing that works.

Medicated foods are more a shotgun approach. Hit it with the three or four most common meds and hope it works.

If you are just doing a preventative "Well just in case" treatment, Garlic will be fine.

Lady Hobbs
04-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I use PraziPro which is made from praziquantel. No effect on the fish at all. I add it to the main tank because all my fish get treated whether I know they have parasites or not. I treat once a year. Only takes about one treatment. Difficult cases perhaps two. The worse case scenerio is if they do not have worms, they still poop a lot for a few days and get cleaned out.

Garlic is said to be a preventive but has no effect on already established worms. Parastic foods my fish will not touch.

http://www.petsolutions.com/C/Internal-Parasite-Aquarium-Fish-Medications/I/PraziPro.aspx

Discus101.Kingfish
04-01-2012, 07:44 PM
Thanks,il try all that.I already use garlic,i just want something for that"once a year treatment":goldfish: