PDA

View Full Version : Advice on trimming

ScottishFish
03-31-2012, 02:47 PM
I have cabomba in my 32g and it is growing really well, some of the pieces have split and are forming a Y shape now. At the point of splitting roots have formed, here is a pic of what it looks like

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/data/500/medium/IMG-20120329-00410.jpg

Where should I trim the plant so I can get another plant from it? Also how long should I let the plant grow before taking a cutting from it?

Im not overly experienced or great with plants so any advice or tips would be fantastic! Thanks guys!!

ScottishFish

Joonkun
03-31-2012, 04:17 PM
ive heard recommendations that you shouldnt cut or trim for atleast 2 months when introduced to a new tank OR until a stem plant reaches to the top of the water. at that point its save to trim to about half if you wanted to. runs offs like that with the roots can probably be cut below it, and then replanted so the root is in the substrate. im not plant expert but im 99% sure i read or heard that somewhere. might have been APC or my local branch of AGA.

KingFisher
03-31-2012, 04:32 PM
I also have cabomba in my tank. It has been my experience that you can cut it anywhere, anytime and at any length, just stick the cuttings into the substrate and they will continue to grow. Very forgiving and easy plant. One time I got sick of it and threw it all out and it still came back from about a 2" piece I missed.

If you want it to stay neatly grouped in one spot, cut it in half when it gets tall, rip out the bottom halves and just stick the tops on their place, or you can leave the bottom halves in and replant the tops in front of them.

Joonkun
03-31-2012, 04:43 PM
yeah the recommendations i heard were probablly generalize for more higher end harder to care for plants, as ive said i most likely heard it from local AGA which usually dont grow your standard ferns and such xD. you can cut them anywhere and replant, but cutting only when you have root growth on nodes or rhizomes ect, is a much healtheir way to do it (meaning they already have roots instead of having to devlop them and will grow faster and fuller without having anything melt)

ScottishFish
03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the advice! I have noticed it grows pretty easily, I've got a couple of really tall bits, I think I will leave it a couple of weeks to grow then trim them down and plant what I cut. I love cabomba as my khuli and weather loaches love hanging out in it! Cool to see