PDA

View Full Version : danio swimming into gravel

Stlouisfish
03-30-2012, 09:37 PM
My blue long finned danio isn't able to swim up - every time it tries to swim, it basically does a nose dive into the gravel, therefore, it's been staying at the bottom of the tank, trying to lift itself up higher into the tank but can't - any ideas?

It has been like this for a few weeks - water parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites & 20 nitrates - just did a 50% water change last night. I usually change 50% every 2 weeks.

ScottishFish
03-31-2012, 01:06 AM
Sounds like a swimbladder issue to me, your fish cannot control its buoyancy and is therefore having to stay at a low level of the tank

Stlouisfish
04-01-2012, 05:00 AM
So, what can I do - anything? On occasion it manages to get higher in the tank but can't propel itself forward - it just sits in one place and the current pushes it - is it doomed?

cuckoochews
04-01-2012, 05:32 AM
Does it try to eat? My danios love skinned peas, and if it is swim bladder disease, it can help as veggies are recommended for that. Another great trick for good health is to incorporate garlic into their menu. Its good for their immune system, it keeps away internal parasites and entices poor eaters. Omega One makes a marine garlic flake that I use once a week, for all my fish... Freshwater, too! Give it a try! thumbs2:

Stlouisfish
04-02-2012, 12:03 PM
I will try the skinned peas - lately it has been staying in one spot - that's a good opportunity to drop some down there to see if it tries to eat, otherwise, it was so busy trying to swim and getting agitated, it didn't notice the food dropping down.