PDA

View Full Version : BN Plecos and Bogwood...

cuckoochews
03-27-2012, 04:04 AM
So I recently obtained 3 little baby albino Ancistrus and want to make life perfect for them. Been reading a lot about eating behavior and bogwood keeps popping up. I have even heard it mentioned here. Now my question is, who is doing this, and are you really using true bogwood? I live in and area surrounded by lfs and never saw this offered. They sell driftwood, grapewood, african root, and manzenita, but no bogwood! From what I read, bogwood gets all its fine qualities because it has been preserved for thousands of years submerged in highly acidic peat bogs. Is all that needed, or do they just want to chomp on some wood? Please :help: ... These guys are the cutest and I need to know. Thanks!

toddnbecka
03-27-2012, 04:12 AM
Some species of pleco (Panaques like clowns, L-204 or royal pleco's) need wood in their diet. Somehow that fact has become a generalized belief that all pleco's need wood. Ancistrus species like the common albino bristlenose will scour whatever they find on the surface of the wood, same as every other solid surface in the tank, but unlike Panaques they don't actually eat the wood (and poop sawdust...) They do like veggies occasionally. I have hundreds of the buggers, from tiny fry to large adults several years old now. I feed them all a staple diet of NLS Grow pellets and Ken's spirulina or veggie flake with canned green beans once weekly. Occasionally zucchini slices in the fall when the neighbors are giving it away, but not regularly.

cuckoochews
03-27-2012, 04:37 AM
Thank you toddnbecka, I was led to think it was needed. There is already african root in the tank just not bogwood. They suck on it, but couldn't tell if they were eating it. They look happy! :22:

Lady Hobbs
03-27-2012, 04:43 AM
Mine love their driftwood. Bogwood is simply already water soaked and pulled from the river. Driftwood when in the water all the time grows the same goodies on them that pleco's love to suck on.

toddnbecka
03-27-2012, 06:06 AM
Actual bogwood comes from peat bogs, and tends to last a very long time in water because it's so well-preserved. More commonly, the term bogwood is a generic term for just about any type of driftwood.
Mopani and malaysian woods are popular because they're both so dense they'll last for many years in the typical aquarium. Neither one has ever been soaked in water, (unless the pieces are "used") yet they're commonly called driftwood as well.
Panaques will eat any type of wood, softer woods will disappear faster than harder or dense woods.

Taurus
03-27-2012, 03:11 PM
I use malaysian driftwood for my BN pleco. It not only provides some hiding places for the BN pleco, but he also rasps the surface of the wood looking for spots of algae.

fishmommie
03-27-2012, 11:00 PM
I have a new Pleco. LFS suggested zucchini or the occassional spinach leaf. does anyone know if they can/like/will tolerate asparagus? Our spring crop is coming in. :o)
thanks