PDA

View Full Version : L-plecos?

MLBfan
03-24-2012, 04:35 PM
Well, I have a question about*L plecos, is there a certain way that they're organized? Do certain number plecos have characteristics about them? From looking at planetcatfish about them here http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/numbers.php?mode=l&thumbs=16 ,so I'm just wondering-

Does it pertain to size?
Patterns and colors?
Time of discovery?
What they eat?

I'm just wondering for a tank I am currently planning.

Also, just out of curiostity, why L's

Brhino
03-24-2012, 04:42 PM
from wikipedia:

The L-number system is a semi-scientific classification system of catfish based on photographs of shipments of tropical catfish of the family Loricariidae published by the aquarium magazine DATZ (Die Aquarien und Terrarienzeitschrift).

An L-number is not an official scientific name, but it does allow people to identify various Loricariid catfish by a "common name" before the fish is actually officially described. When a Loricariid receives an official scientific name, the L-number is retired.

In general a specific L-number classification does not guarantee a discrete species—multiple L numbers have been given to different populations of the same species. To add to the confusion, sometimes a single L-number may actually be used for multiple species.

So each L-number refers to a new variety of pleco, before they're actually scientifically classified. The number itself doesn't have any greater meaning to it. L for Loricariidae (There are C-numbers for Corydoras as well).

MLBfan
03-24-2012, 04:53 PM
Thanks Brhino!

Crispy
03-25-2012, 07:45 AM
the L number system was classified pretty much in order on introduction to the hobby and scientific classification of all the different plecos being caught in SA. there was so much confusion that they figured an L# system would help distinguish the species much clearer and it has. plecos are so diverse they are still naming new ones.:fish:

ScottishFish
03-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Learn something new everyday!!