PDA

View Full Version : Help Please

Jeremy
03-21-2012, 09:30 AM
I noticed last night and now early this morning that my pleco fish seems to be acting weird, He isnt moving around alot that much. Usually when I go to feed the fish he will bolt and hide. But not today, he's just sitting there. I put in a net a gave him a slight nudge and he wasnt to quick to swim away. I noticed it looks like his fins appear to be closed.

Is there anything that can be done?

Thanks

ScottishFish
03-21-2012, 09:43 AM
Firstly is your tank cycled? If not then it is a good idea to read up on cycling in the beginner freshwater section. Bottom feeders can suffer really badly if the tank is still cycling as the toxins can build up in the lower half where the water is less filtered.

You said your pleco usualy sits out, is this because there is nowhere to hide? Lack of dark hiding spots will really stress your pleco out and make him prone to disease. Plecos also need real wood in an aquarium, they eat it and it aids in their digestion.

What are you feeding your pleco? Plecos will not survive on algae, there simply will never be enough, you need to feed them algae wafers and veggies like zuccinni and prepared peas.

What is the species of pleco? Common plecos will reach huge sizes of +20 inches.

Jeremy
03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
I dont know what kind of pleco he is, the old owner left the tank here when he moved out. I never really wanted fish but have managed to keep them living for the 2 years I have been here.

He does have a castle and a decent sized ship wreck to hide in but he just sits out. I have tried feeding with peas and zucchini but he never eats it. I just always see him eating the algae and from time to time the goldfish flakes

ScottishFish
03-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Hmmm, what size is he? does he have any notable markings like gold spots etc?

I suggest you get bogwood for him, they do require it in their diet. Plecos are mainly nocturnal so they will do most of their feeding at night. You mentioned goldfish flakes, are you keeping him in with goldfish? What size is your tank?

Jeremy
03-21-2012, 10:09 AM
The tank is 50g and he is in there with 2 other goldfish. He is only a couple inches long, he's small.

I hope he doesnt die on me

ScottishFish
03-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Jeez 50g is a decent sized tank. Are you using a heater? I would not advise on keeping plecos with goldfish as their temp reanges do not overlap very good. How often do you change the water as goldfish produce tons of waste and if this has built up it may be doing harm to the pleco.

One thing you might consider, if you have kept this pleco for 2 years, the original owner may also have had it for several years, it might just be old and ready to go?

mommy1
03-21-2012, 12:08 PM
Most plecos are omnivorous, that's why he is eating the flakes. Try giving him some sinking wafers or pellets. Many of them require driftwood to chew as part of their diet, so as ScottishFish suggests, get him some bog wood.
If you can post a picture here someone should be able to identify your pleco and then we can give you more specific instructions on what to feed it.
Since this tank was dumped on you and you did not really want fish, tell us your tank maintenance routine: How much water do you change out and how often? What sort of filter do you have and how do you clean it?