PDA

View Full Version : Wisteria roots going nuts!!!

Skrippdaddy13
03-18-2012, 01:50 AM
I've had wisteria in my 29 gal for about three weeks now and it's growing tall even though I have minimal light, ( working on getting a new powerful fixture) . I'm using it for a background cover. I use co2 and liquid fertilizer. My question is about the many white long roots growing out towards the substrate. Are they starving for nutrition? Is this normal? Should i cut just below the feeler roots and quadruple the amount of plants? Thats fine by me as long as they survive and continue to grow well. Very new at this and interested in doing the right thing. Any sound ideas would be great. Thanx:14:

Lady Hobbs
03-18-2012, 01:53 AM
It's all normal. Just what that plant does.

Goes to 11!
03-18-2012, 01:56 AM
Yes, Cut just below them and note that your plant divides where you cut it [Every time :-D], You can use this aspect to easily train your wisteria to a more full shape. :-D

Skrippdaddy13
03-18-2012, 01:59 AM
Thanx lady Hobbs! Would I benefit from cutting And replanting? Or should I just leave it alone in your opinion? It is new to my tank, and I don't wanna kill it, but judging by how fast it's growing now, it will be climbing out the tank in a month or less!thumbs2:

Skrippdaddy13
03-18-2012, 02:05 AM
Thanx 850r! I think that's what I'll do since I only have 10 tall stemmy plants and that's not enough to cover the back completely. At the rate these things grow I should have full background cover in a few months. Thanks :18:

Skrippdaddy13
03-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Another quick question if u guys don't mind, what's the best thing do do with the bottoms after you cut off the top and replant? Do I just leave them there? Will they look like crap or fill out pretty quick?

Goes to 11!
03-18-2012, 03:03 AM
Let it go - It will be back soon.

As I mentioned, It will divide after you cut it and this is how you get lush full looking wisteria as opposed to a single stem with paired leaves on it.

I cut mine every time they get three sets of leaves on to give it more ramification [makes it bushier - Old Bonsai trick :-D]

Skrippdaddy13
03-18-2012, 03:10 AM
Thanks alot I'll give it a try!!thumbs2:

homemadepopcorn
03-18-2012, 03:29 AM
The stem which you cut wont start growing again, but the plant will grow bushier from that point as 850R said. Pretty interesting science involved actually, but its not all that important for what you're pondering haha... good luck with it!

kurly
03-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Wusteria has always been one of the easiest plants for me to grow. Not very demanding at all and really looks nice once you prune and replant it so it becomes fuller. I also use it as a floating plant too. and that has worked out well.

Glad it's growing well for you Skrippdaddy13