PDA

View Full Version : sand vs gravel----your opinions please

kimmers318
05-21-2006, 03:05 AM
Some of you may remember the post about the living worms in my dp tank, once I get all gravel and worms removed, which shouldn't be hard because once the gravel is removed the dps will scarf up the worms, I am considering changing the substrate to sand. Haven't ever tried it, and am always game for something new. Who uses sand, and why, or who prefers gravel, and why? Do you foresee any issues with adding the sand to existing tank, or should I rehome dps in Q tank giving sand time to settle for a day or so?

Incredulous_Ed
05-21-2006, 04:11 AM
I don't know, I would just use gravel. If you put water on the sand, wouldn't it be somewhat cloudy? Are you setting up a freshwater or marine aquarium?

kimmers318
05-21-2006, 10:59 AM
It is an already set up freshwater dwarfpuffer tank. I am removing gravel to eradicate the worms! Alot of people use sand for various reasons and I am trying to get a range of opinions. In most cases, 1 isn't better than another, although some fish would prefer the sand. I have relied heavily on opinions since I started last December and things have gone relatively well so I like to ask, consider and then decide!

William
05-21-2006, 11:48 AM
The deciding factor for me when choosing between sand and gravel is which fish I am going to keep. Some species prefers sand.

Sand is however denser which means that less oxygen than in gravel which can affect the bacteria flora.

kimmers318
05-21-2006, 12:01 PM
Okay, William, is there a way to avoid any issues about less oxygen and bacteria flora. I am understanding this to mean that less of the good bacteria will be able to hang out in the sand than in the gravel, so it could lower my good bacteria levels. I have alot of fake plants and decor in tank to lower dp aggression so that shouldn't be a problem (I hope) and will remove gravel slowly so I don't take out a large chunk of bacterified (is that a word??!!) gravel all at once. Could there be any other issues with sand?

jnmrcs
05-21-2006, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure of this. But someone once tell me that you have to give some time to the sand so it could get down on the tank. I think that it would take less than a day. Of course the one who talk me about this was talking about a new tank.

William
05-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Yes, Kim (Kims allright right?) you have undertoos the oxygen thing correctly.

I don't think you'll experince any other issues with sand when keeping dwarf puffers. But i should admit that I never kept DPs so i might be missing something in their behaviour.