PDA

View Full Version : Neon, or other small tetra + shrimp

miss mouse
03-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi. I'm hoping you guys can provide some clarification about shrimp and neons (or other small tetras). Is this a good combination for beginners? I'm staring my first aquarium, a 20gal long, and I plan on a school of about a dozen small tetras and lots of plants. I'd like some activity at the bottom of the tank, but I don't want to add a whole school of corys, and I like the low bio load from shrimp. I don't plan on adding the shrimp for a couple of months; I'm going to let the tank mature awhile after cycling before I add shrimp. I've read dozens of conflicting posts on various sites about whether the tetras will eat the shrimp, or whether large shrimp could harm the tetras. Would red cherry shrimp be best, or should I pick something larger, that won't fit into a tiny fish's mouth? I don't mind the fish controlling the baby shrimp population, but I don't want either the fish or the adult shrimp harming each other. Will it help that I'm planning to sparsely populate the tank (providing you guys think that 12 tetras and a few shrimp is, in fact, a sparsely populated 20 gal tank).

Another concern - I say "a few shrimp" - how many should I get? I'm sure it depends of what type of shrimp I get. I'm imaging 4 or 5, but I'm mostly just hoping to avoid being overrun with breeding shrimp or having only 1 or 2 lonely little ones. it seems like at lot of people have 3-4 larger shrimp. Is that the direction I should go?

Thanks.

Pleco380
03-14-2012, 11:16 PM
The neons won't eat the shrimp. Neon tetras can be a bit sensitive though so maybe Carbinal tetras would be a good substitute. You could easily fit 4 or 5 small shrimp in that tank. If they breed, the tetras will eat the babies so don't worry about them. I have a ghost shrimp now who gets along well with all my other fish. If anyone gets hurt, it'll be the shrimp. Also, shrimp won't clean the tank for you. If algae comes, be prepared to clean it yourself.

Sir Tristen
03-15-2012, 03:04 AM
+1 to the above, though you could probably add 10+ shrimp without problems.

Lady Hobbs
03-15-2012, 03:14 AM
My neons are with shrimp and the shrimp are never bothered. I have shrimp with much larger fish and they also don't get bothered. They breed so fast and so much, it doesn't matter. Make sure the tank is cycled before adding the neons.

miss mouse
03-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Thank you all for your responses!