PDA

View Full Version : Out of curiosity...

Megalodon
03-14-2012, 12:29 PM
Would a Blue Ram or any or other Chiclid with similar breeding habits that defend their young defend other fry?

I won't try this for obvious reasons but say for example my Danio fry wandered over to Rams that had paired (assuming they were very experienced and good parents) would they care for that fry at any point? Even during the cycle where they defend their own fry if the Danio was of a similar/the same size?

I ask because I watched a documentary on Pictus Catfish in the wild and they confuse mouthbrooding Chiclids to believe that their own eggs were that of the Chiclids so that the Chiclids would care for their fry who would then eat the Chiclid fry and leave once they were free swimming... Different scenario but I was just curious as to whether Chiclids have been known to care for other fry that didn't prey on their own, maybe knowingly?

Fishkeeper
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Why don't you put a couple of danio fry in the chichlid's swarm and see?

MLBfan
03-15-2012, 07:10 PM
I sort of doubt it, usually fish eat other fish's fry.

Fishin Phil
03-15-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm pretty sure they know which fry are which. Although it works for certain birds, so I can't say for sure.

Megalodon
03-15-2012, 07:49 PM
Fishkeeper - My Rams don't have a swarm, it's a theoretical thing plus they're going to be new to parenting so I doubt that's a fair test plus I'm definitely not risking my other fish.

I would've thought they knew which fry were theirs too but when I watched that program about the Pictus Cats I was just left a little confused to be honest. Maybe the Chiclid just didn't realise because it didn't see/wasn't looking?

homemadepopcorn
03-16-2012, 12:51 AM
This would be a rather interesting experiment wouldn't it... This is just a guess, but I'd assume that in nature, where resources are scarce, you'd get rid of whatever was competing for your fry's survival. So, your rams would probably eat other fry... especially when they'll already eat unfertilized eggs which they recognize as their own.

bignellm
03-16-2012, 12:54 AM
Most likely will eat the young, especially if are new to parenting.