PDA

View Full Version : why did my bamboo shrimp die?

Whitney
08-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi,

I have a 1 year old 30 gallon tank. It currently houses:
6 espei rasboras
2 diamond tetras
5 sidthimunki loaches
1 albino bristle-nose pleco
several little snails that hitched into my tank on a plant several months ago

over the year I have had and lost:
5 german blue rams (I love them, but have now given up, as I couldn't keep any alive longer than 4 months)
a 3rd diamond tetra (I will eventually replace him)
several freshwater schooling gobies
several cherry shrimp (I've found only two dead, most just disappeared-probably eaten either before or after dying- I now no longer see any in the tank)
1 bamboo shrimp:

The bamboo shrimp is my most recent and upsetting loss. I got him just after my tank first cycled and he seemed to be very healthy and happy all year. I don't know why he died. I went away for a weekend (Friday-Sunday) and when I got back, he was dead.

I checked my water parameters. The ammonia and nitrite level is 0, my nitrates are at about 20, and my ph is about 6.8 (which is normal here). I keep the temp set at about 79 degrees.

Recently, I've had a small beard algae bloom (nothing overwhelming).

I did a water change last week. As usual, I treated the water with stress-coat.

Was I doing something wrong? Why did my shrimp die?

Spyder
08-27-2007, 06:29 PM
I have found Bamboo Shrimp to die suddenly also. It was probably nothing you did, just his time. I know the slightest amount of stress will kill these guys, temp change, water parameter change. They are very sensitive to any change at all, but it was still probably nothing you did.

YaYgoldFish
08-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Maybe it was old age?

Palor
08-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Odds are the little critter was old, they only live about 18 months.

Spyder
08-28-2007, 10:29 AM
I've had them live for 3 years.

TowBoater
08-28-2007, 11:35 AM
3 years is there life span. Mine are hardy, I have lost one though because it moulted and wouldn't go hide.

bamboo shrimp 66
01-19-2009, 11:58 AM
I think i know why. either he was old, or the stress-coat had copper in it. i read it kills them.:14: :ssuprised: :cat: :l19:

Hope this helps.

Amazon
01-19-2009, 02:20 PM
he could have been old when you bought him

troy
01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
This thread is over a year old!:spam: