PDA

View Full Version : Sick Zebra Danio?

WendysWorld
03-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Hey folks.

New aquarium. Fish added on March 13. One of the smallest Zebra Danios has a dark green stripe all along the top of his back. If it were on a rock, I would easily guess it would be fungus or algae. But on a fish?? Did not notice this at the store. Only noticed after first day in aquarium. Today, the third day in aquarium, two other Zebra Danios appear to have the same green stripe beginning, though not nearly as pronounced.

Researched internet and can't find anything describing such a green stripe. Internet photos of normal Zebra Danios don't appear to have this stripe either.

Any ideas?? Help!! I am clueless! :questionmarks:

Let me know if you need more information in order to diagnose (such as photo, water parameters, food, cycling info, etc).

I am terribly dreading my first fish death and working hard to avoid it!!:cry:

Thanks so much!! Please help!!

ScottishFish
03-13-2012, 10:31 AM
Is your tank cycled?

With danios their appearance changes slightly as they grow. If you danios are pretty small i'd say it is just their juvenile appearance. Pictures of them would also help us solve the problem

Stlouisfish
03-13-2012, 11:57 AM
Hmm...green stripe - doesn't particularly sound like any illness/disease I've seen mentioned here.

I am assuming by "new tank" you mean you haven't cycled it like Scottishfish suggests. At this point, I am also assuming that the green stripe is simply the coloring of the fish. If a new fish were acting "strange" like not eating, staying in one spot of the tank, rubbing against things in the tank like it were irritated, I'd definately think something was wrong.

But, in the meantime, do you have a testing kit to make sure your water parameters are good? Good parameters are ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm & nitrates 20ppm or less. How big is your tank and how many danios are in there?

WendysWorld
03-13-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks for replies.

Took the little guy to two different pet stores for advice. They seem to think it is normal coloring even though the other danios don't have this green stripe. Anyway, he is acting more normal now.

Tank with bio filter was running just water and substrate for awhile, but did not have water test kit to begin any monitoring of cycling. Finally got water test kit. Sera BioNitrivec added to tank on Saturday. Put six Zebra Danios and two guppies in the tank on Sunday. Tank is 200 litres (approx 52 gal).

Today:
PH 8.2
Amonia .25 -.50
Nitrate 0 - 5.0
Nitrite 0

Sorry can't get a photo of him. He is moving too much and water is still milky from the Sera Bio Nitrivec. Hopefull it means he is okay now that he is swimming more.

Does anyone have experience with a new tank using Sera bio nitrivec to speed the cycling?

MLBfan
03-13-2012, 07:28 PM
I have not heard of any product that can speed cycling, some people use thrm and like them though, but I'm not sure if it actually does anything. I kind of think it's a placebo effect.

ScottishFish
03-13-2012, 07:56 PM
+1 to mlb, I'd advise reading the cycling thread and do it the tried, tested and trusted way.