PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a plant I used to grow

Paulxlus
03-13-2012, 01:28 AM
I had a couple of aquariums when I used to live in England about 25 years ago. I used to spend a small fortune on plants, all of which died either very quickly or very, very slowly except for one. You'll be pleased to know I had much more success keeping the fish alive and, if I remember correctly, some of them were responsible (most likely indirectly) for the demise of one or two of those plants.

As I mentioned earlier, I only had success with one plant. I only bought the one specimen but it turned out to be the only plant I ever needed. I'm about to set up an aquarium again here in the USA and I would love to be able to find this plant again. It used to grow about three inches in height but the leaves would get to about four inces long and were a little on the narrow side. What made it special was that new plants would form on the end of the leaves. Roots would grow down into the gravel and eventually the new plant would detach itself from the parent. I was so successful at growing this plant that I would have to remove plants from the aquariums on a monthly basis.

If anybody out there knows what this plant might be and if it is available in the States I would certainly appreciate knowing.

Strider199
03-13-2012, 01:39 AM
It almost sounds like an Amazon sword.

Here is a link which shows some pictures of amazon and other swords.

http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=FAP/CTGY/SP

KingFisher
03-13-2012, 01:55 AM
Based on the method of reproduction and the assumption that you did not have special lighting for plants that long ago, I would have to say it was Java fern ( Microsorum pteropus). They normally do not do well planted in the substrate because their roots need more circulation around them. Were you by chance using an undergravel filter back then? it would explain why they thrived in those conditions.

DylanisHawttt
03-13-2012, 01:57 AM
Based on the method of reproduction and the assumption that you did not have special lighting for plants that long ago, I would have to say it was Java fern.

That's exactly what I was thinking King, sounds like Java Fern to me.

Lady Hobbs
03-13-2012, 02:20 AM
I couldn't even guess. Java is a slow grower so for me not fitting the bill of what you describe. But then, new plants on the end of the leaves it does. So......who knows.

Paulxlus
03-13-2012, 02:48 AM
This is so almost but not quite. I don't remember the plant having a rhizome but then again 25 years does warp the old memory a bit. The images for this plant certainly fit in with my memories. It also seems to forgive those of us without green fingers so Java Fern here I come.

Thank you all for the replies

Lady Hobbs
03-13-2012, 02:49 AM
Java is tied to driftwood or around rocks generally. They can not be planted.