PDA

View Full Version : how do i make sure my african dwarf frog is eating

danthemanxx1
03-13-2012, 01:23 AM
how do i make sure my african dwarf frog is eating... and besides floating food flakes what else will they eat

kattiq
03-13-2012, 02:27 AM
They also have frog pellets that fall to the floor of the tank that could be easier for your frog to eat. I would observe the frog during feeding time to see what the possible problem is.

Tiari
03-13-2012, 01:47 PM
Are there fish in the tank with the frog? This is important, as frogs are slow, and won't get enough to eat if there are fish in the tank with him. Flakes are NOT a suitable diet for Dwarf frogs, as they need meaty foods in order to stay healthy, and fish flakes are geared for fish not amphibians. Many frogs starve to death fed only flakes, or in tanks with fish.

If the frog is alone in the tank, you can feed by dropping in frog and tadpole bites as well as sinking shrimp pellets, and a partial cube of partially defrosted frozen blood worms.

If the frog is NOT alone, you will need to "Target Feed" your frog. You do this by using long tweezers found in the reptile section of pet stores called "Feeding tongs". They are usually 10 or 12 inches long. For frog pellets you would soak them a bit in tank water to soften, grab them with the tweezers and target your frog by putting the food and holding it until he takes it from you. You can target feed as well with defrosted frozen blood worms, Hikari vitamin enriched freeze dried blood worms, or soaked shrimp pellets. Your frog should be target fed at least every other day. If it is a baby, it should be fed every day.

Your frog may not take food right away, or be nervous about the tongs coming at him, but be gentle, slow and persistent and they will soon be "trained" to come right to it. Many often on feeding day or when hungry come to the front of the tank and beg like a dog to be fed.

Target feeding is the best way to be sure your little froggie is getting enough food and good nutrition! It is also very interactive, and very fun, and you will form a relationship with your frog, as it comes to trust you.

danthemanxx1
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
can they eat like lettuce or somekind of vegetables...i am wondering because i read somewhere i could tie them to a rock so i could put it right in front of him on the bottom

Tiari
03-14-2012, 06:38 PM
That is for snails and algae feeders, Frogs do not eat vegitation or plants. They are carnivores