PDA

View Full Version : Killies hard to find??

MeganL3985
08-26-2007, 10:52 PM
I loooooooove these fish! I have been researching them since they were suggested to me the other day....and I absolutely love them. They remind me a lot of the desert pupfish that I saw at the zoo last month. But they live longer and are apparently sold in LFS's. So my question.......are these hard to find?? I have never seen them around here.....and definitely haven't seen them at the local LFS that seems to have a very good variety of fish. I need to try an get my hands on some. If not back to the drawing board. lol

Fishguy2727
08-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I have seen very few species in shops. I have seen maybe four or five species in stores. For variety you may need to get them online. However, many times if something is that rare, it isn't the hardiest. These guys are not supposed to be too bad, but still.

cocoa_pleco
08-26-2007, 11:01 PM
theyre very abundant here. i have 2 golden wonder ones in my 55g. they hide in the foliage and are peaceful. petsmart usually has about 10 per shipment and theyre 5-6 bucks

Dave66
08-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I loooooooove these fish! I have been researching them since they were suggested to me the other day....and I absolutely love them. They remind me a lot of the desert pupfish that I saw at the zoo last month. But they live longer and are apparently sold in LFS's. So my question.......are these hard to find?? I have never seen them around here.....and definitely haven't seen them at the local LFS that seems to have a very good variety of fish. I need to try an get my hands on some. If not back to the drawing board. lol

Megan,
If you join the American Killiefish Association, members can buy/trade eggs and fish. I picked up my Northobranchius rachovii sextet there several months ago. Not a fish you'll see in your average LFS.

Dave

MeganL3985
08-26-2007, 11:16 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! :) I think they are more common in Canada than they are in the US cause some species are found in Ontario? I think thats what I read.

Dave66
08-26-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! :) I think they are more common in Canada than they are in the US cause some species are found in Ontario? I think thats what I read.

Ninety percent of the killies most popular in the hobby are from Africa, not Ontario, Megan. A few (Argentine Pearl Fish, for example) are from SA.
Killies used to be more commonly kept than they are today. Colorful livebearers put a serious dent in killie keeping.

Dave

MeganL3985
08-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Really? I did read ontario though, so atleast I said the right thing even if not very common. lol

~Erik3.8.07~
08-27-2007, 04:56 PM
they do seem hard to find, at least around here, i was looking the other day and only found one type at petsmart, cant recall which one it was tho.

cocoa_pleco
08-27-2007, 08:54 PM
they do seem hard to find, at least around here, i was looking the other day and only found one type at petsmart, cant recall which one it was tho.

probably a golden wonder, petsmart usually has those