PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to take the plunge...

gm72
08-26-2007, 07:59 PM
Getting ready to convert one of my 10 gallon tanks into a planted freshwater puffer tank. I need some help with this endeavor to include that kind of lights I need and what kind of plants to keep. I am not looking for a plant that will completely engulf the tank but rather I would prefer to keep many smaller plants and maybe one centerpiece plant that I could keep trimmed so as to not be too obtrusive. I also don't know if I would need a CO2 injection system? So, I need a little more than a little help!

Suggestions and ideas will be greatly appreciated!

RobbieG
08-26-2007, 08:53 PM
I'd go with a good substrate like eco complete and try to go with a low light/no CO2 setup in a 10 gallon (20 Watt lights with plants like anachris and java fern/moss)

10 Gallon tanks are easy to swing back and forth paramater/water quality wise.

With low light and a good substrate you should be able to avoid a lot of the headaches you might run into.

(The anachris will grow like a weed - but mine seems happy do do so running laps around the top of my 30)

gm72
08-26-2007, 09:42 PM
I have heard that eco complete is the way to go for substrate. Do you have any specific lighting suggestions? I just have the stock hood/lights for the 10s but won't mind spending more money for advanced equipment.

Thanks for the suggestions!

squirt_12
08-26-2007, 09:50 PM
Um...well from my knowing....that puffers will eat plants if you put them in the tank with them. I heard that from somebody so i don't know if it is true or not.

RobbieG
08-26-2007, 09:59 PM
I'd look for a fixture you could get around 20 watts out of - more than that and you will have to have CO2 and daily ferts etc.

I use flourescent 10 and 20,000K bulbs in my planted tanks - they do pretty well (mostly I like the bluish color)

If you can't find one for your specific tank - Walmart has a 17 Watt for about 15 bucks with the bulb - you would have to do a little work to get it to fit your tank right (I think Bill M tried it)

20 Watts with good substrate and low light plants shoul give you a nice looking tank without a ton of maintenance and expense.

cocoa_pleco
08-26-2007, 10:12 PM
dwarfs will leave plants alone. larger ones will nibble

zackish
08-27-2007, 12:13 AM
Co2 is always good. It's so easy. I would definitely get it. You probably won't need to dose ferts most would say but i would. I have some easier plants in mine like swords and water sprite and I haven't dosed up until now and they aren't doing so hot. They did good the first few months but now not so good but I have some ferts on order.
Anyways if you want a sick lighting system go with this for a 10 gal:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18369/si1379063/cl0/coralifefreshwateraqualight206700kquad96watt

I couldn't believe it today when I saw it. If you had that much light you would really need to be dosing and probably have pressurized Co2. On a 10 gal. the regular 15 watt light might be ok but if you want a little extra look for like a 28 watt Compact flourescent. All I could find on bigals was the 50/50 actinic but if you look around you could find a 20" 28 watt freshwater light.

RobbieG
08-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Trouble with that is your plants would be growing 2 inches a day - you'd need an aquatic lawnmower!

gm72
08-27-2007, 12:23 AM
Yeah, thank you all for the input. I am not concerned about the cost, but rather am concerned about the results. Keep the suggestions coming!

Bill M.
08-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Yea,, like robbie said I did the walmart hood thing... I now have 40 watts over my 29 gal tank, with co2 injection... my plants are doing well, nice and green.... That hood only cost like....10 bucks I think it was, and its got room for 2 aquarium bulbs...... great deal!

:41:

RobbieG
08-27-2007, 12:35 AM
Given what (I think) you are looking for - the main reason I would suggest to keep it low light is to limit the plants growth - once you get into the 3-5X lighting and CO2 and ferts you wind up with serious weekly growth (not so noticeable in a 55 - but very noticeable in a 10. The plants in my 55 (with 2X lighting / Eco Complete / DIY CO2) grow about 2 inches a week - this gives me about a month or so in between freshly trimmed and need a machete.

The plants look best (to me about a week after trimming up til when they need to be trimmed again) Going whole hog with CO2 - 96 watts of light - daily ferts etc. is going to give you days at the most between trimmings - which is really not going to give you a large window of enjoyment.

I try to do as much as I have to in my tanks to keep the plants green - healthy and growing a bit - this gives me the best results.

Starting with a good substrate really is the only must - you can add CO2 / spectacular lights etc. as you go along - based on need

zackish
08-27-2007, 12:55 AM
I figured he didn't want to go that far into it, I just say that because that is what I would get/do if I hadda 10 gal aquarium. I wouldn't mind grooming my tank every day if it looked insane.

Rue
08-27-2007, 03:58 AM
All I have in my 10g puffer tank is a java fern on a piece of driftwood...

That's it! And the puffers seem to be just fine with it! :28:

TowBoater
08-27-2007, 11:29 AM
I wouldn't use anything like CO2, it is better to but I personally don't and mine do fine, I use florapride. Maybe like a banana plant or something of that sort that spreads out a lot but doesn't have that many leaves. Java Moss is another good idea.

zackish
08-27-2007, 01:42 PM
I can't find any Mosses at my LFS to save my life. Once I throw some more money in my paypal I need to get some off-line in the classifieds or something.

RobbieG
08-27-2007, 02:08 PM
The LFS I buy my fish from has the worst plant selection on earth - If I want plants I have to drive at least an hour-hour and a half! Costs me more money for the gas than the plants!

gm72
08-27-2007, 11:57 PM
Great information, folks. Thanks a lot. I think I'll go low light for a first run and see how I like it. I can always upgrade in the future!