PDA

View Full Version : Help stock my first auquarium please!

WendysWorld
03-09-2012, 06:36 PM
Please, help stock my first aquarium.

Already made some decisions (such as substrate and plants) based on the general kind of fish would like. But exactly which fish and how many of each is undetermined. Please help. Basic aquarium information below.

Size: Have a 52 gallon aquarium. (39.25" X 19.5" X 15.5")

Filter: Atman CF-800 external bio filter. Will need to add another filter in near future. Until then, need to keep fish population below maximum limit.

Lighting/Cover: does not work correctly (bought second-hand and too expensive to replace it for now). So the lighting is limited to only one bulb, and can only use it when home (to be sure no fire!) or not at all.

Plants: until lighting situation fixed--all plastic plants planned, except maybe one or two indestructible ferns.

Water: city water - 20GH+ (reportedly higher than 20GH but don't this type of water test to verify), PH 7.5 - 8.6

Substrate: black sand, which when tested after a week in a jar, the PH was lowered to 7.5 (sand ratio to water was not proportionate to represent aquarium).

Aquarium style: Primarily community aquarium. Since would like to maximize the different variety of fish, would prefer to have the minimum number of each kind of fish.

(Of course, not possible to have them all in one aquarium, but below is list of fish would like to have. They are listed in order of desire to have. And yes, I know NOT to add all the fish at once, but only two or three fish at a time, starting with the hardiest fish first.)

List of available fish that would like to have:
Kuhli loaches (2 to 4 of them)
Kribensis and/or Pseudotropheus saulosi
common guppies (prefer the ones with the fancier, beautifully colored tails)
betta splendins (only one)
angel fish (one or two---what are the smallest ones?)
cherry barb or rosy barb
pentazoa five band barb or tiger barb
neon tetras
lemon tetra
golden pristella tetra
zebra or pearl danio
black skirt tetra

Probably need a suckermouth fish of some kind to help keep algae under control. Which ones are smallest and yet most effective to do that job?

Can I put either of the two types of cichlids (kribensis or Pseudo saulosi) with the other types of fish listed? Or is it a choice of Cichlids versus the other community fish?

Can I mix Kribensis Cichlids with Pseudotropheus saulosi? Or is it a choice of one or the other of the two types of cichlids?

What is minimum number of Pseudotropheus saulosi can keep in an aquarium?

Seems kribensis can be happy campers even if only two of them. What about the Pseudotropheus saulosi? Is two too few?

Do I have to have both males and females? How many minimum of each sex to keep them happy and healthy?

Maybe it would lessen aggressive activity if only females?

Sorry for the ton of questions on one forum post!!

Thanks folks!

DeadSulphurhead
03-10-2012, 05:23 PM
You really didn't go all out eh lol I've heard many bad things about those filters. I think they are around 70g max? So in reality, you have minimum filtration for 55g. Once you fill it with media, flow rate isn't at max anymore.

Kuhlis get a least 6, I recommend a lot more for a 55g (4' long?). They will huddle together, live a lot longer and have more colour from the feeling of security.

Kribs could work, I have 2 females in a 4' tank, and the larger one hates the other. Chases it whenever it sees it, but the tank is large enough with plenty of sight breakages, so it's only every once in awhile they come in contact.

Pseudos, I wouldn't mix Mbuna species with any of the other fish you want, other than a pleco. Bad news written all over it. Could be fine for years, then one day, only the pseudo is alive with other fish parts floating around.

Guppies will be harassed by most of those fish, don't be surprised if many tails are torn or missing. If you put the pseudo in, eventually the guppies will start going missing.

Male bettas shouldn't be in with guppies or barbs, or with cichlids like Angels and pseudos. Kribs MAY work, but if it wanted to, the krib could easily kill the betta.

Plecos actually do very little if you have an algae outbreak. Sure they are happy, but your tank won't be clean. For a good clean up crew, fill up the tank with Nerites or algae eating inverts. These again won't work with some of the fish you want.

Your only safe bet there for a community are the tetras and danios.

WendysWorld
03-16-2012, 04:18 PM
You really didn't go all out eh lol I've heard many bad things about those filters. I think they are around 70g max? So in reality, you have minimum filtration for 55g. Once you fill it with media, flow rate isn't at max anymore.

Kuhlis get a least 6, I recommend a lot more for a 55g (4' long?). They will huddle together, live a lot longer and have more colour from the feeling of security.......

Your only safe bet there for a community are the tetras and danios.

Settled on Zebra danios, fancy guppies, tetras, and Kuhliis.

Started the tank last week. Stupid...even if too late to learn....should not have added the tetras and Kuhlii loaches until tank is finished cycling. But nobody dead yet. Frequent water changes trying to keep the little guys alive.

The Kuhli's are our favorite. Their little antics all over the aquarium get us roar laughing. We get up at night just to watch them! One evening, one loach just went crazy. Must have been a hundred times he "rode" the bubbler waves up and over the heater and down again. Then two more loaches joined his fun. All three. Around and around and around. Hilarious!!

Joonkun
03-16-2012, 04:23 PM
do you only have 3 loaches? i would recommend getting more. they are schooling fish. i believe tetras and danios are too (i could be wrong here) so more is always better.

WendysWorld
03-22-2012, 11:01 PM
No, had bought five loaches to start with since read they are better in groups. But two we never saw. Hiding someplace....or so we thought. Since then, have emptied the tank of all the fish to start cycling WITHOUT fish instead of WITH fish.

Could only find three of them. I searched. My husband searched. Moved around all the substrate. (yeah---probably destroyed some bacteria in the process, but couldn't stand the thought to leave those guys in there when starting the fishless cycle. Short of digging up and taking out all the substrate, they were not to be found.

We were thinking maybe they were unlucky and went up the filter in-take before we put the nylon stocking on it a couple days ago. If so, the two missing loaches, one danio zebra, and a mother guppy giving birth with only two surviving fry, are very likely why my amonia levels spiked out of control.

I will need help re-stocking this huge 50 gallon tank when the fishless cycling is complete.

Please give your suggestions!!! We really like the smallest fish possible, but quite a few of each kind.

We really like Pangio Kuhlii loaches. Might like even 8 of them in there!??

Neon tetras are also a favorite.

Love the beautiful male fancy guppies (NOT the siamese fighting kind though), but worried how many males can keep without females. If MUST have females then need to decide if want them at all. I don't know if can handle guppies being born all the time and watching them get eaten. But obviously can't put them in a breeder net and expect to keep them without buying bigger fish tanks for the rest of our life!!

Cherry barbs have also been suggested.

Zebra danios are also quite fun because they were so active and playful.

SO any suggestions?

Don't be afraid to just send a list of which fish, how many of each (male and female), just like a grocery list for me to research and if agree, we'll go to store with the list like a shopping list for groceries!!

Lady Hobbs
03-22-2012, 11:38 PM
Wendy, I almost wonder if it wouldn't be best to start a new thread asking about stock. This thread is when you had it full of fish a week ago and was trying to cycle with them. Everything has now changed so perhaps this should simply be closed with a new one started asking about stock? Less confusing perhaps?

WendysWorld
03-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Wendy, I almost wonder if it wouldn't be best to start a new thread asking about stock. This thread is when you had it full of fish a week ago and was trying to cycle with them. Everything has now changed so perhaps this should simply be closed with a new one started asking about stock? Less confusing perhaps?

Okeedokee. Close it. Will start new thread later today.

Actually, though, that thread was started BEFORE I bought the fish to start the aquarium and didn't get much response on which fish should choose and how many of them (total # of each species with how many males to females). SO I made the mistake of choosing too few of each of the species I liked best, even though they were a schooling fish. I was afraid to overstock if got enough to be a school. My reasoning was bad---and ended up overstocking anyway and with too few fish to be a school to keep them happy.

Next time will be successful!!