PDA

View Full Version : myth or not?

cocoa_pleco
08-26-2007, 04:20 PM
for my oscar i was gonna try and plant the tank and see if he sees the plants as food or not. its fairly alright lighting, 120W. i wouldnt go overboard, just some java fern. filtration is a fluidized bed filter for 300g and aquaclear 300. anywho, i read that oscars dont like light in a few places, and that they get stressed to the max if they have fluorescents running. is it true? the lights are only on for about 6 hours a day

genitor
08-26-2007, 04:29 PM
If he doesn't eat the plants he'll probably rip them out all the time.

cocoa_pleco
08-26-2007, 04:35 PM
bleh, i see ive got a challenge. ive grown java fern floating, so as long as he doesnt rip it to death it may stand a chance

Rue
08-26-2007, 07:36 PM
When and why did you get an Oscar? And where is he living? I musta missed that post...

2manyfish
08-26-2007, 09:04 PM
You know what I forgot to add to the PM Cocoa? That I had tried some live plants in with my O before. At first everything was fine but as he grew he began to run into them, rip them up, etc....the java fern might work out because they are supposed to taste bad and they don't have to be rooted in the ground. Let me know how it goes....

And HEY!! Where are the pics???? :19:

cocoa_pleco
08-26-2007, 09:29 PM
i got the oscar from the neighbor at my summerhome. he had baby oscars from his breeding and had no extra tanks for them. hes in the 50g long with one convict until i make room for a 75g+ tank. hes fairly small.

today, he got some good stuff, 3 cabombas, 1 valnersnia, and a 25 buck bag of hikari large cichld pellets (couldnt find NLS)

pics tonight! my camera was out of stupid batteries and is around half charged

YaYgoldFish
08-27-2007, 02:42 AM
The plants probably wont get eaten, just unplanted....maybe try plastic plants? I know someone with like 4 inches of large rocks with VERY firm plastic plants with a cup-ish thing on the bottom of the plastic stem for rocks to go in....goodluck anyways tho lol.