PDA

View Full Version : Customer Service - Just Ask

Dacotah7
03-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Sometimes we end up with products that are defective, under-perform or do not last as long as expected. Warranties and Customer Service varies by product, distributor and manufactuer.

Over 2 years ago I bought 2, Coralife Aqualight, T-5, 36" dual lamp (http://coralifeproducts.com/Files/Product/ProductFullSize/05619.jpg)fixtures.
Because of my initial satisfaction, I bought another similar light in the 24" model. Soon afterwards one of the 36" models' lamps started to burn out. The lamps in one fixture, required replacement about every 2 months or less. The replacement time started to decease and continued at an ever increasing rate. The cost of replacement lamps was sky-rocketing and becoming excessively expensive. Out of warranty I was ready to toss the fixture and swear I would never buy another Coralife product again.

I just couldn't bring myself to tossing a $65 purchase so it sat on a shelf for some time. Finally I decided to see if I could disassemble it and trouble shoot it. I'm rather handy at that sort of thing, but there was no apparent easy way to get inside it without damaging it. I finally went to Coralife's website and sent an explanation with a request for information; how do I open it, what's inside it, how does it work, does it have a ballast, if so what kind and where can I buy one...

Their resonse was: Send it back and we'll send you a free replacement. No questions ask. No dated receipt required. No verification of warranty period.
WOW! I'm impressed. And to think I almost tossed it.
Yes it cost me about $10 UPS, but a lot less than replacing it.

So if you have an equipment problem or question, at least ask the supplier and/or manufacturer before casting them off as less than acceptable.

Trillianne
03-08-2012, 10:07 PM
Honestly this is true so much more often than you'd expect.

It does help to be calm and not hopping mad when you call. (Chances are the person you speak to may not have anything to do with your issue, but actually wants to help you.)

And while you may have what you feel is your ideal solution, be open to them offering another potential solution. There may be a reason you don't see that your solution is not possible but another potential solution could solve your actual problem.

And if you have someone that does give great service... especially if they do more than you hoped for.... don't take extra advantage later, and if you have the time, a kind thank you to their place of employment goes a long long way.

Lady Hobbs
03-08-2012, 10:48 PM
I tossed my 48" in the trash last Fall and got a Nova. Just after purchasing a case of new bulbs for it. Good to know but at 48" it would have cost too much to send back if I was lucky enough to find a box for it. Good for you getting a replacement.

Cliff
03-09-2012, 12:13 AM
To quote Wayne Gretzky, “You’ll miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”

You can never go wrong by calling the company to see what can be done

pjaldave
03-09-2012, 01:56 AM
I got a fluidized bed filter that is leaking and called the company, Lifeguard Aquatics, to resolve the problem and apparently get a new one.

They did ship a new one. Though it was a fast shipment, the shipment cost was almost the same as the filter price, $75 delivery and $85 for the filter, which quite sucks! I e-mailed them this time telling them I am not paying any shipping fees because of the reason. Lucky for me they did not charge me for that. Though they also did not reply on the mail.

Dacotah7
03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
To quote Wayne Gretzky, “You’ll miss 100% of the shots you don’t take”

You can never go wrong by calling the company to see what can be done

thumbs2: Right on Cliff!

Interesting you quote Wayne Getzky, because my wife bought some cool looking, peel & stick (alphabet) letters from some craft store and pasted the exact quote above one of the windows in my home office. It serves as an everyday reminder in our home-based business.