PDA

View Full Version : Is it going to happen every time?

Yo Danio
03-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Why must I always fight ich?

I can't understand if it is always present in my water(small traces perhaps?) and my fish fight and so well enough to show no outwardly syptoms (the spots)...OR if everytime i get a new fish it introduces that many more protozoans, enough to start the QuICK Cure cycle all over again.

I didn't quarantine the new clown barb (who had ich, but no visible spots when I picked him out), but I thought my established tank could deal with it.

So must I always treat or quarintine or will my tank ever be able to "deal with it"?

nikelodeon79
03-06-2012, 10:30 PM
You knew the fish had ich and you didn't quarantine? Do you have a quarantine tank?

I always quarantine new fish for at least two weeks (longer if they show any symptoms/illnesses). IMO, it's not worth the risk of not quarantining. It's far easier to treat a few fish in quarantine rather than your whole main tank.

I have been into the fishkeeping hobby for around five years (I owned fish before then but didn't keep them properly) and have only ever dealt with ich ONCE, and that was in a quarantine tank.

Lady Hobbs
03-07-2012, 12:33 AM
I also don't believe it's always in our water and newer articles are beginning to state the same thing. If you treat a whole tank for ick, the ick is killed and all you have done to the tank is water changes, where would the tank become reinfected? That never did make sense to me.

Why else could a person go years without ick at all? Ick in introduced to the tank so the trick is not to put it there.

sheamurai
03-07-2012, 12:41 AM
I'd be buying my fish elsewhere if they routinely had ich.

I won't say that introducing a sick fish is the kiss of death for a tank - it's not - but there's something wrong with your source if every fish you introduce brings ich with it.

If your established fish are not dealing with ich very well, perhaps they are stressed by some other factors which make them susceptible.

Stlouisfish
03-07-2012, 12:59 AM
Why must I always fight ich?

I can't understand if it is always present in my water(small traces perhaps?) and my fish fight and so well enough to show no outwardly syptoms (the spots)...OR if everytime i get a new fish it introduces that many more protozoans, enough to start the QuICK Cure cycle all over again.

I didn't quarantine the new clown barb (who had ich, but no visible spots when I picked him out), but I thought my established tank could deal with it.

So must I always treat or quarintine or will my tank ever be able to "deal with it"?
Bringing home a fish that has ich, you run the risk of infecting all your other fish no matter how well established your tank is - I brought home a fish that came down with ich after less than a week - it didn't make it and 3 other fish came down with it so I had to treat the whole tank. If I had quarantined that 1 fish for 2 weeks, I would have just needed to treat 1 fish in 5 gallons of water instead of put in meds for 46 gallons.

After I saw no signs of ich for a few weeks following treatment, I vacuumed my gravel really well, cleaned my filter and considered it gone. I have quarantined every single new fish since then and no more problems

Yo Danio
03-08-2012, 12:22 AM
Well, when I say the clown barb had ich, I wasn't positive. I bought it from PetsMart (not a great store, but surprisingly the only place that stocks clown barbs, out of all the other local stores) so I was under the assumption it was a little ich bomb. No visible spots as I said but all other clown barbs and loaches I have purchases always proved to carry the disease.

Quarinting is difficult for me b/c I cant stand having an empty tank...besides that though I know it to be an guaranteed method.

I suppose there either is ich present in the tank, in which case fish become infected, or there isn't.

And also what temps do you all keep your tank on a regular basis.

I have a number of barbs and loaches, but I kept it on 82F. since the ich I have raised it to 84F.

Goes to 11!
03-08-2012, 12:31 AM
Why must I always fight ich? Simply put, Because you did not QT.

So must I always treat or quarintine or will my tank ever be able to "deal with it"?Yes.

Unless you consider your stock disposable, QT is not optional.

nikelodeon79
03-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Re: an empty tank: I don't leave my QT tank set up. I have the filter in the main tank and simply set up the QT tank when I plan on getting fish or if I need a hospital tank.

Lady Hobbs
03-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Re: an empty tank: I don't leave my QT tank set up. I have the filter in the main tank and simply set up the QT tank when I plan on getting fish or if I need a hospital tank.

Of course. Not hardly a big deal but it is a big deal to infect your whole tank. It cost me $8 for my little 5 gallon quarantine tank which is cheaper than losing even one fish and buying tons of medications.

sheamurai
03-08-2012, 01:48 AM
Temperature depends on the fish you keep. 82F seems high to me - which could be stressful to the fish on a long term basis, contributing to your ich - but you need to research each species you have and look up the recommended temperature for each. Hopefully they will all be within 2 degrees of each other and you can hit a happy medium.