PDA

View Full Version : must be the water

sergo
08-26-2007, 02:25 AM
well, whoever said that mbuna will readily breed if everything is good, is exactly right. my red zebra (whom i bought 2 months ago and was holding then) is now holding again. so now that makes 2 holding, my biggest ice blue and the red zebra. i'm glad but i'm concerened in that i'm certain my male afra is behind the lastest episode. this could be an issue since now they are crossbreeding and doing it readily. i am however curious to see the color variations that could happen here but only if the fry survive. i only had 1 fry survive (out of 9) from my red zebra when i bought her. and i'm not going to separate my ice blue at all. we'll let nature take it's course here too and see how many make it from her batch. i'm glad to know that my water conditions meet their requirements but at this rate my tank will be overflowing in 8 months. i really need a grow out tank so i can maye sell some these guys off as assorted mbuna.
i wish he would take an interest in my female afra so i can have some full blooded afras to sell. they would end looking awesome!
what should i do here?

jessie
08-26-2007, 04:13 AM
congratulations! You're going to be a daddy....:)

I have 4 different species in my tank, and so far have not had them interbreed at all. Generally, they will only do this if they are close enough in their markings and coloration.

I had a grow out tank and ended up with about 30 fry. After advertising them to try to find them new homes and being unsuccessful, I loaded all of them up and took them to a pet store. Haven't had to go to that extreme again (not yet anyways). They will continue to multiply though.....I'm now raising about 5 fry from ones that survived in the big tank.

AquaQueen
08-26-2007, 04:31 AM
How cool, Congrats on the new fry to be...lol I hope they come out cool looking and make sure you share pics as soon as ya can!! Good Luck!

sergo
08-26-2007, 02:00 PM
well false alarm. my red zebra was holding eggs last night and i get up this morning and she wasn't. they didn't get fertilized so she spit them out. i'm kind of glad because i waiting on my ice blue to spit her fry and i didn't want my to have a tank full of fry from 2 fish. although the color variations could have been interesting with the afra and zebra. oh well.