PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow fish

Kristin
08-25-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi guys! I was thinking about getting some dwarf neon rainbows and from what I've read about them is they need to be in groups of 6 or more but can be kept in a 20 gallon. Is 6 of them too many for that tank?? I thought 4 sounded more reasonable.

P.S: The clown loaches that are there now are getting too big and I was going to see if a petstore would take them.

Spyder
08-26-2007, 10:56 AM
I thing a 20g is to small for Preacox Rainbows. They do stay small but their activity level is so high that they need room to swim.

Kristin
08-27-2007, 07:04 PM
That's weird 'cause I've read lots of articles on them and they all say they can be kept in 70 liter tanks. Lots of people have said that they keep them in 20 gallon tanks.

Spyder
08-28-2007, 10:36 AM
I'm sure you have read that a 20 is okay, I am only speaking from my experiances. I have kept them a long time and have breed them and some small Rainbows, such as Celebese are okay for a 20 but the Preacox are extreemly active, fast movers and the males will race around the tank showing off and chasing females and in a 20g they can't do that. The first time I got 4 and had them in a 20long and they just sat there, never moved except to eat. I move them to a 120g and I saw them for what they really are, beautiful, active, colorful Rainbows.

Kristin
08-28-2007, 04:49 PM
Ah. Ok that helps. Thankyou!