PDA

View Full Version : cultivating ghost shrimp for food?

genocidex
03-05-2012, 09:33 PM
i have plans for a 20gH (24x12x16) tank to go under my 55g, i would like to cultivate guppies and ghost shrimp in the same tank. i was thinking of getting 10000K leds to let a nice head of algae started. maybe adding some java moss and drift wood. sponge filters of course since i will be raising fry. should this set up be sufficient for some good guppy/ghost shrimp breeding?

what food should i be feeding this tank?

toddnbecka
03-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Ghost shrimp aren't likely to spawn successfully in aquariums. Most of the randomly collected species require salt water for the larvae to develop, and the relative few that species don't eat their own larvae. Not to mention the guppies that will be chowing down any shrimp larvae as well...
If you want to raise feeder shrimp get some cherry shrimp or a similar species that doesn't have a larval stage (low-order shrimp) in their development and keep them in a separate tank.

genocidex
03-06-2012, 01:48 PM
thanks todd, i didnt realize ghost shrimp were too much different than cherry. i will defiantly look into cherries then. so the guppies will chow down on the shrimp too then? that stinks :( would adding some moss and hiding spots help more shrimp survive?

toddnbecka
03-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Adding cover might help, but you'd definitely still lose most of the baby shrimp long before they grew large enough to be off the menu.