PDA

View Full Version : Carnivore's and omnivore's questions

mhammer
08-25-2007, 01:13 PM
ok, i have 6 yellow labs and 1 pesdotrouphis socoalofi (albino) and i'm wanting to get some peacocks (german reds 1 male and 2 females). My question is, i know that the yellow labs are omnivore's and the peacocks are Carnivore's. How would i go about feeding these guys? What is the best possable food i can give these fish? Right now i give the fish that i have aquatrol spirulina 20 flakes, hbh african cichlid attack pellets,nutrafin cichlid spirluna sticks and a weekly treat of frozen brine shrimp followed by a day of fasting after the brine shrimp. Will this same diet still work if i get the peacocks also? or what will i need to change? I hear a lot of you all talking about that (nls) new life spectrum and i'd like to know exactly witch one i should try? witch type of nls? Or if there any other recomdations, please let me know. Thanks for your help. I just wanna keep my fish happy as possable!

tank specs,
65 gal. (36x24x18) packed with lots of lace rock with many many caves. gravel bottom
1 rena xp3
1 emperor 400

water peramaters
ph 8.2
ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 10
gh 30
kh 18 are these hardness's okey?
temp 80.5
water changes 15 gal. per week

sergo
08-26-2007, 02:10 AM
are those fish really compatible? i don't think so. i guess anything could be especially with what i've got in my 55.
i'd love to see a pic of tha albino socolofi. i bet it's really cool looking.
you may run into some problems with feedings since you have carnivors and omnivors, like bloat. that could be a real challenge.

jessie
08-26-2007, 04:09 AM
I've only seen one kind of cichlid formula for New Life Spectrum. It's what I feed my mbunas and they are doing great with it, and yes I have noticed a difference in their coloration. I believe that you can feed the same NLS food to both the carnivores and the herbivores, but somebody please correct me if they also make a different formula. (I've just never seen any different one offered for cichlids). I have also heard that you should not mix peacocks with the mbunas (the yellow labs and the socolofi).Mbunas I believe are generally more aggressive.