PDA

View Full Version : New BN Pleco Behavior

DrNic
03-02-2012, 04:50 PM
I've had a male BN pleco in my 75G for more than 18 months now. Once he got settled into the tank he quickly took up home in a faux log and would almost never come out except for around feeding time. Even in the log he almost always sat upside down on the top where he was hard to see.

Over the last 3-4 weeks though he's picked up a new habit. It seems like every time I look over at the tank he's sitting at the bottom of the log opening with his head hanging out just checking things out, looking out into the living room. It's the oddest thing. Although the fish don't seem to bother him, if a person gets near the tank he'll swim back inside and wait, then eventually come back out in about 10 minutes or so.

Just thought it was a funny habit to pickup after being in the tank for almost 2 years. The big challenge now is to find him a girlfriend.... :hmm3grin2orange:

Stlouisfish
03-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Eh...needed a change of pace? A GF...now there's an idea LOL

Taurus
03-02-2012, 07:37 PM
That's typical BN pleco behavior. The only time mine comes out in the open is at feeding time and that's only if it's just me around the tank.

I did notice him out yesterday evening feeding on the inside tank glass, but as soon as there's any movement a different vibration that he can feel, he dives right back into the driftwood for hiding. They are a bit nocturnal so it's just typical behavior.