PDA

View Full Version : intro and advice -0 60G

pc4400
03-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I have the follow;
60G acrylic (bought of craigs list about 5 years ago)
Eshopps Wet/Dry filter with a Rio 2700 pushing water 4 feet up to the tank
powerhead moving water around
heater (forgot wattage)
air pump (forgot name, but big and quiet)
Separate 50 gallon water mixing tank with heater, Rio 1100 and air pump

Fish
spotted green puffer (2" long)
monster spotted green puffer (4" long)
Green Skat

Question
Wife's been complaining about the pump in the wet/dry filter. It's hum is reverberating throughout the livingroom. I'm looking for a pump that is quieter and possibly smaller. I believe that my Rio 2700 (721 Gal/Hour) is just a little overboard.
What do you think my options are?

jonny5
03-07-2012, 01:22 AM
hmm, for the humming you could try to put a towel or styrofoam underneath the sump. This will sometimes dampen the sound quite a bit.

your puffers will be good in a 60 gallon but that scat will certainly outgrow it, I would not get the scat unless you plan for a bigger tank down the road.

sheamurai
03-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Welcome to AC!

I wish I could offer an opinion, but wet/dry filters are beyond my ken. Now, if you want to talk canisters.... :)

smaug
03-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Have you considered just replacing the wet dry with a good canister filter?

Cliff
03-07-2012, 01:52 AM
I used to get a lot of noise from one of my return pumps. I took two small pcs of acrylic and put a lot of aquarium safe silicone in between them. After letting it cure for 72 hours, I put it in the return pump compartment of my sump and placed the pump on top of that. The silicone really doesn't grip very well to the acrylic, but it dose provide a nice soft-like padding that absorbs a lot of the vibration that was making the noise.

It did cut down on the noise by about 50 to 75%. The rest I can live with so I have not tried anything else

pc4400
03-07-2012, 07:24 AM
hmm, for the humming you could try to put a towel or styrofoam underneath the sump. This will sometimes dampen the sound quite a bit.

your puffers will be good in a 60 gallon but that scat will certainly outgrow it, I would not get the scat unless you plan for a bigger tank down the road.
I'm afraid the towel would come loose and block the intake on the pump and burn it up. I don't like stirofoam, too many little pieces break loose.
The green scat has been in the tank for about 5 or 6 years. Started at approx 3" long, now only 5-5.5" long. Should do fine for a while. No signs of stress, mood s good color is good. He is a bit if a bully sometimes.

pc4400
03-07-2012, 07:30 AM
Have you considered just replacing the wet dry with a good canister filter?

Had a Fluval 403 years ago. Worked well for many years but hated how hard it got for parts after a while. Just not a fan of integrated filter solutions anymore. Ive been very happy with the wet/dry.

pc4400
03-07-2012, 07:34 AM
I used to get a lot of noise from one of my return pumps. I took two small pcs of acrylic and put a lot of aquarium safe silicone in between them. After letting it cure for 72 hours, I put it in the return pump compartment of my sump and placed the pump on top of that. The silicone really doesn't grip very well to the acrylic, but it dose provide a nice soft-like padding that absorbs a lot of the vibration that was making the noise.

It did cut down on the noise by about 50 to 75%. The rest I can live with so I have not tried anything else

Thank you sir, that's exactly what I'm going to try. I have another idea involving pump being suspended 3/4" from bottom using plastic straps attached from above. Well see what works!