PDA

View Full Version : balzanii eggs

rsretep
08-25-2007, 01:37 AM
i have eggs in my 40 breeder....can anyone out there give me info on the egg ritual of this breed...do they mouthbrood? ....how long will they carry?....how long will the eggs sit until picked up? i need help i want to try to raise some of these....all inquiries will be greatly appreciated:c5: :c5: :c5:

squirt_12
08-25-2007, 01:41 AM
Here go to this link and it tells you alot about them!!!
P.S.
To find this info just type in 'balzanii' into google and it will give you all of the info you need.
Well thats all i did and i know nothing about this fish.
lol
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/gymnogeophagus_balzanii.php
i hope that this will help you!!!

rsretep
08-25-2007, 01:56 AM
thanks for the reply...didnt think to look for info so close to home lol....good article with lots of info...thanks again:19: :19: :19:

squirt_12
08-25-2007, 01:59 AM
No problem!!! I am used to reasearching. Everytime that i think of getting a new fish i always go onto multiple websites and look at everything for it: how it breeds, what it eats, and everything like that!!! And if i don't know that i am geting that fish i research it as soon as i get home so that i know what to expect from it.
I just thought that you might want to know that.
well i find it handy but i might not know about you!!!
:D

rsretep
08-25-2007, 02:21 AM
thank you again for your help...this breeding was a definite surprise....just last night the two started and today we have eggs....not getting my hopes up though knowing this will be the first brood by this pair....guess time will tell....thanks squirt 12:ezpi_wink1:

rsretep
09-18-2007, 09:10 PM
:confused: has been almost another month and no more eggs from my balzani pair....the last brood was not protected so my zebra danios had a feast on the forty some eggs that where laid....have seen the male setting up in the same spot luring the female out but it seems like she wants nothing to do with breeding again so here i sit with fingers crossed....

squirt_12
09-18-2007, 10:17 PM
Well yeah it could take a while for the males sperm count to go up and a while for the females egg count to go up.

What do you have the pair in??? also what other inhabitants do you have in the tank????

rsretep
09-19-2007, 12:37 AM
hey squirt the tank is a forty breeder occupants are as follows 3 balzanii two female one male,8 zebra danio,one bronze cory,one horse face loach,and a whiptail catfish,....am filtered with an AC 50 and a Duetto 100 internal filter have some amazon sword growing, rock work ,a clay pot,and some plastic plants

squirt_12
09-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Well with the loach, cory, and catfish....well they will search the bottom looking for the eggs and when they find them they will feast and feast on them until all of the eggs are eaten and they are no longer there. And the Danios will also snack on them. Thats why in a breeder tank you shouldn't have many inhabitants.
Hope this helps.

rsretep
09-21-2007, 02:05 AM
but the first clutch was not guarded by the parents for very long...i thought that was why i lost the first batch not so much because of the neighbors...dont cichlids usually protect their eggs ferosiously????? i was thinking it was a case of inexperienced parents not opportunistic tank mates

cocoa_pleco
09-21-2007, 02:31 AM
most parents will guard their eggs well, kribs and convicts especially