PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Have Shrimp Only Tanks...

kurly
02-28-2012, 05:20 PM
How often do you change your water? I have a 10 gallon cherry shrimp only tank and conduct weekly water changes. I think I have around 50 Shrimp in there now. I was wondering, since the bioload isn't as heavy as it would be if I had fish in there also, if I could stretch out the water changes a little bit.

Alasse
02-28-2012, 05:26 PM
I have a 50gal cherry shrimp tank and water change once a month. There are approx 600 or so shrimp in there. I do have live plants which help.

kurly
02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
I was thinking about changing the water in my Shrimp Tank once every two weeks instead of weekly. I have live plants in there as well. It's not really a problem to change since it isn't that large but I just got to thinking I could probably change it a little less often since it's only shrimp in there.

Wow! I just realized that you said you have a 50 Gallon Shrimp tank with around 600 Shrimp in it. That's A LOT of shrimp! :ssuprised:

hpt84
03-07-2012, 03:25 PM
I have a 50gal cherry shrimp tank and water change once a month. There are approx 600 or so shrimp in there. I do have live plants which help.
Wow, what do you do with all the shrimps once it is fully populated?

Lady Hobbs
03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I had a shrimp tank but didn't change the water weekly in that tank.

hpt84
03-07-2012, 05:52 PM
If you have live plants, it may not be necessary to change your water. The only reason I change my water is to replenish some of the trace element that was used up by the plants.

onneeye
03-07-2012, 08:40 PM
I have a 2 gallon fluval spec shrimp tank with live plants. About 50 shrimps so far. I change the water every 3 days. I threw in 2 assassin snails to take care of the unwanted snails and also have 4 molly frys that I saved from my main tank. They take care of the little flea like critters in the tank.

korith
03-07-2012, 09:14 PM
my 10g shrimp tanks, if I get lazy I will stretch out a water change to maybe 3 weeks, usually though I will do a water change every 1-2 weeks. All the tanks have some plants in them, so that does help keep the water quality up and gives more play with the water changes.

kurly
03-07-2012, 09:58 PM
I think I'm going to start changing the water every two weeks in my Shrimp Tank. There isn't much bioload with the shrimps and there are plants in the tank so the water quality is good.

I'll save the weekly changes for the tanks that have all my fish in them.

ladygoodwrench
03-08-2012, 12:46 AM
Do you guys run a filter with your shrimp tanks? I also have a freshwater clam in my tank. Was thinking about turning it into a shrimp tank, but don't know if I need to run a filter, or not with the clam in it. Kind of clueless in breeding shrimp..

Goes to 11!
03-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Do you guys run a filter with your shrimp tanks? I also have a freshwater clam in my tank. Was thinking about turning it into a shrimp tank, but don't know if I need to run a filter, or not with the clam in it. Kind of clueless in breeding shrimp..
Filters are not optional. [Waldstat tanks excepted ;-)]

Strider199
03-08-2012, 02:15 AM
I personally keep up my weekly water changes for my 10 gallon cherry red shrimp tank. This has an Aqua clear 30 HOB filter on it and is very densely planted, java, fire moss and Anubis.
The reason why? Check out this past thread of my trial and errors.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=79617

I hate those pests.

Alasse
03-08-2012, 02:49 AM
I run 2 internal filters in my 50gal shrimp tank

kurly
03-09-2012, 02:09 AM
I personally keep up my weekly water changes for my 10 gallon cherry red shrimp tank. This has an Aqua clear 30 HOB filter on it and is very densely planted, java, fire moss and Anubis.
The reason why? Check out this past thread of my trial and errors.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aquariumforum/showthread.php?t=79617

I hate those pests.

Ewwww and I have changed my mind. Going back to weekly water changes on my 10 gallon shrimp tank starting tomorrow! I have everything you have in your tank with the exception of fire moss. It doesn't take much time at all anyway. It's only a 10 gallon tank.

Thanks for posting that info Strider199!